FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cod?  (Read 1295 times)

88fishing

Cod?
« on: Jul 25, 2013, 08:04 PM »
This might be a stupid question but if i dont ask i wont know lol im woundering is its possable and worth trying to target cod from shore? If it is and tips like location and time of year i just think it could be fun if possable any info would be awsome!

stripernut

Re: Cod?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2013, 06:43 AM »
They can be had in the winter... Most often at night and it makes ice fishing seem like a Fl vacation...

deerhunter

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2013, 07:05 AM »
heard tell they get em off the jetty at the east end of the canal, but not this time a year. halibut point in rockport also.

88fishing

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Thanks guys! I was pritty sure the water would have to be cold i think im going to have to try sometime. I heard many years back they use to stack them like cord wood at night in winter but nobody does it anymore cause the numbers are not what they use to be

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Years ago, I even got a nice keeper inside the Merrimack (spring)... Also years ago, from a boat we would hammer cod less than 100 yards off Halibut Point... In The Winter.

fishegg

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2013, 11:30 AM »
Back in the early 80's, we used to get them off the end of the south jetty at the Merrimack. I can't recall what time of year, but I think it was very early Spring.

Thun

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Yep...years ago I saw a couple of older guys set up a lantern on a tripod (claimed the light attracted them) and with a flat of worms caught a bunch of cod right from the beach at Plum Island. IIRC, the bellies were a darker color compared to the white bellies caught offshore.

JDK

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2013, 08:40 AM »
Years ago, 70s and 80s, my father used to catch them off the beaches all winter long.  The top secret method was, believe it or not, throwing big Atom 40 swimmers.  The best color was the yellow/red head one they made.  I also vividly remember the code name for it (ice cream cone).  As kids, my brother and I were sworn to secrecy as to what they were doing.  I remember fish boxes full of big cod that were shipped to market by him and his buddies.
# SAND

big lou

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2013, 05:55 PM »
Salem willow's pier all winter long.

88fishing

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2013, 12:28 AM »
Thanks guys i defiantly want to try this at somepoint

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com