FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jerkbait leaders for teeth  (Read 2142 times)

imsafanct

Jerkbait leaders for teeth
« on: Apr 20, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I've been playing around with different leaders lately, trying to find a suitable leader for fishing jerkbaits like HJ14's and Pointer 100SP's, both of which weigh 5/8oz.

I like using these "lighter" jerkbaits early in the year for pike, but all of the leaders I've tried so far seem to cause these suspending jerks to either sink, or suspend nose down. I've used 80lb. SPRO fluoro leaders with and without the ball bearing swivel and Stealth Tackle single strand wire jerkbait leaders, all causing this same result.

I also hand tied a short length of 50lb. Berkley Big Game mono direct to the 30lb. braid mainline. I tied a snap on the lure end to make lure changes easier, but still found that these jerks nose-dived. Perhaps eliminating the snap and tying the lure directly to the short length of mono is the answer.

What leaders have you all had good luck with for these smaller jerks?

Thanks.

-Eric 

lowaccord66

Re: Jerkbait leaders for teeth
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2015, 08:05 AM »
I don't use small jerkbaits for pike so it's not an issue as they usually don't get the leader in their mouth.  Your issue is the floro which sinks.  Switch to mono which doesn't and use the same diameter and you won't have an issue.

imsafanct

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2015, 12:37 PM »
Low,

Do you use larger hard or soft jerk baits for pike instead?

-Eric

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Low,

Do you use larger hard or soft jerk baits for pike instead?

-Eric

Hey Eric.  I use musky and striper plugs alot.  Tman swimmer and magic swimmer get it done.  However my number 1 go to after a spinner bait is large lipless crankbaits.  I have never done well with plastic...

spanky1

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2015, 09:51 PM »
As low said, mono is the key there since it floats.

The one place I use plastics first is the CT River. Because of the large golden shiners in there a 7" fin-s (arkansas shiner) is my bait of choice.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2015, 10:46 PM »
As low said, mono is the key there since it floats.

The one place I use plastics first is the CT River. Because of the large golden shiners in there a 7" fin-s (arkansas shiner) is my bait of choice.

I hate it but it's to easy to catch and use the real thing over there!

fishingaddicct

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2015, 08:16 PM »
-For the soft jerkbaits in the ct. river; which work great if you sight some nice pike structure esp. in the fall-I like to use a bit of tyable stainless in front of them for about 8"-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.