FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 514195 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4875 on: Jun 05, 2023, 03:49 AM »
I leave it alone. They know what to do. I’m going to make a second one in the next couple weeks. Make sure you put some 1/4” hardware cloth on it as a barrier. The birds will wipe out most of the nests. Mason bees are your best friends in the gardens. They’re solitary nesters and do more to pollinate than any other bee specie. They seem to prefer 1/4” holes. I make all my blocks around 5 1/2” deep and drill about 4” into them.

I also do some with 3/16 “ and 3/8” holes. They all get used. Every couple years you’ll have to refresh the nesting blocks. I re-drill  the holes and replace any as necessary. Any larger holes and the yellow jackets will raid the nest in the fall, and you certainly don’t want to accommodate carpenter bees.

Face the box south if you can. Springtime sun warms the box and tells them it’s time to go to work. There’s a ton of info and  some interesting designs out there. It’s a creative thing. Have fun with it.

Oh, obviously, don’t use any pressure treated wood for it.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4876 on: Jun 06, 2023, 06:12 PM »
My garden is coming along good..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Bartman44

« Reply #4877 on: Jun 06, 2023, 07:38 PM »
Impressive Dom, looks great.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4878 on: Jun 06, 2023, 10:27 PM »
It sure does

gotagetm

« Reply #4879 on: Jun 08, 2023, 05:51 PM »

Going little slower with one arm still pretty sore but healing well and plugging along

piscesman

« Reply #4880 on: Jun 08, 2023, 07:09 PM »
Gardens looking good. We (I) started separating the plants from the planters to give them some extra room to grow. Wouldn't you know it, tomatoes from the packages didn't sprout up until about 3 weeks ago. They look like crowded overgrown weeds. Giving 1/2 away as we already have 15 good plants with flowers. I work in Hannaford and Price Chopper as an outside repair vender. Have lots of buckets to use as planters. Drill holes 3" up from the bottom to keep water in and roots from rotting. The herbs are crowded. Are they supposed to be close together?? Dill, parsley, cilantro, thyme, swiss chard?? Our basil plants and rosemary are spread out so to speak. Love that fresh smell. TIA.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4881 on: Jun 09, 2023, 11:29 AM »
If you thin your herbs they’ll grow bigger and better.

Garlic is doing very well.

Over 3’ tall now and I’ve been trimming scapes the past few days.

Potatoes are humming along. I’m letting my asparagus go now. We’ve eaten a bunch and given some away. My 3 tomato plants all have tomatoes on them and my Bride is happy with all her flowers.

Now all I have to do is keep the squirrels out of my flower boxes. I’m gonna try garlic powder and cayenne pepper. I’ve heard it works.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4882 on: Jun 09, 2023, 11:33 AM »
I was just going to say the same thing Bob..
Been filling pots and planting mums the past couple days.  All 5500 of them…. 8)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4883 on: Jun 09, 2023, 01:38 PM »
I mixed up a nearly lethal concoction of some Chinese red peppers my neighbor gave me (toxic to humans I think ), garlic powder and some chili powder I made a few years ago and have only used a few times. It’s seriously potent.

Hope it doesn’t kill the plants. Don’t really want to kill the squirrels.

Although they make good fly tying materials.

gotagetm

« Reply #4884 on: Jun 09, 2023, 05:09 PM »
And stew!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #4885 on: Jun 09, 2023, 06:16 PM »

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #4886 on: Jun 10, 2023, 05:46 AM »
And they will be "pre-seasoned"....h2l

taxid

« Reply #4887 on: Jun 10, 2023, 08:30 AM »
I think I screwed up -- again. I use the Miracle Grow that comes in bottles that you screw into a sprayer attachment that allows you to add it about once a week while watering the garden plants. Just noticed you are advised to store it above 32 F and below I think it was 90 degrees F. I had some left over from 2 years ago I kept in an outdoor shed which gets below and above that. So it may not be effective.

And I had no choice but to add tomatoes, peppers, and baby corn to a raised garden that has corn up to 15 two years ago. So plants aren't growing as fast as I think they should be. I think I will add a little granular fertilizer today.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4888 on: Jun 10, 2023, 01:28 PM »
Dom talked me out of using that MG stuff years ago. Only organics now. Use the Mg on the flowers…not the food. I use Jobe’s organics and Ecoscraps and good compost for the most part.

taxid

« Reply #4889 on: Jun 10, 2023, 02:09 PM »
Dom talked me out of using that MG stuff years ago. Only organics now. Use the Mg on the flowers…not the food. I use Jobe’s organics and Ecoscraps and good compost for the most part.

I've heard there is controversy with it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.