FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lobo trolling spoons  (Read 4338 times)

GOZ

Lobo trolling spoons
« on: Apr 12, 2016, 10:55 AM »
I found some old Lobo trolling spoons just wondering if anyone has ever used them?

boondox

Re: Lobo trolling spoons
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Name sound fimilar any pictures?

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I found images of the lobo LURES, not spoons & unable to copy them.  They ones mentioned look like tube type lures, probably used for larger salt water fish?

Glad you made this post because I found a great fishing book by Gary Soucie. "Hook, Line & Sinker"  The Complete Angler's Guide to Terminal Tackle.   Bought it on Amazon for $5.28 with shipping.  Wished I had found it when it was published about 20 years ago. Take a look at the topics he covers.

http://www.amazon.com/Hook-Line-Sinker-Complete-Terminal/dp/0805033718#reader_0805033718

Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Sinnian

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Glad you made this post because I found a great fishing book by Gary Soucie. "Hook, Line & Sinker"  The Complete Angler's Guide to Terminal Tackle.   Bought it on Amazon for $5.28 with shipping.  Wished I had found it when it was published about 20 years ago. Take a look at the topics he covers.

http://www.amazon.com/Hook-Line-Sinker-Complete-Terminal/dp/0805033718#reader_0805033718

It is a great book.  Think I got my copy about 20 years ago.  Surprised you didn't write it actually  ;D
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2016, 10:17 PM »
The Lobo spoons were made by a close friend of Jim Warner's (fly tier fame) in NH.
Probably a 1950's vintage and used mostly on Winni.
You have some treasures there.
Would love to see a pic?

GOZ

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2016, 07:56 AM »
 Seahunt do you know the guy's name who made the spoons
I have the original dies for 3 sizes of lobo spoons
A friend of mine bought them 20 or so years ago made a few spoons and then put the dies in his cellar . He was going to scrap them and another friend of mine took them. A few weeks ago my friend gave me a few spoons and told me he had the dies for them and he was going to scrap them so I took them. I'm refurbishing them now and hope to get them in working order and make a few spoons

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2016, 08:43 AM »
A friend of mine bought them 20 or so years ago made a few spoons and then put the dies in his cellar . He was going to scrap them and another friend of mine took them. A few weeks ago my friend gave me a few spoons and told me he had the dies for them and he was going to scrap them so I took them. I'm refurbishing them now and hope to get them in working order and make a few spoons

you might try contacting hal on the fishlakewinni forum, he might be the best person with winni info. havent seen him post in a while but someone there would have his email. he is the writer of angling in the smile of the great spirit on winni. he interviewed most of the big players over the years. the lobo looks to be a newer version of a wardie wobbler from what i see online. if you have pics and would be great to see the lures and the dies

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Try AJs bait and tackle. I had AJ tie up half a dozen flies which Hal uses this winter. I am relatively sure he can point you in the right direction. He is a sponsor of the NH ice shanty site if you need the contact info.

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2016, 09:40 AM »
i posted over there so maybe someone from the area knows

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2016, 10:40 PM »
I'll try to find it.
I stumbled on that info very recently while doing a little research on a streamer. You know how it goes....start somewhere on the interweb and go from one tangent to the next.
Saw your post and had to check it out.

FWIW, Hal Lyons spends most of his time in Germany now, teaching.
He does come back a couple times a year to catch up with family and hunt and fish.
Still has his place on Bear Island. 

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Sorry to have misled you.
Had my facts turned around.

"Another colorful friend of Jim's (Warner) was Valentine Skiff, a part-time lake resident who made a very effective copper spoon called the "Wardie Wobbler." He also made some smaller sized trolling spoons, and these were deadly. Skiff would often convince Jim to play hooky and go out on the water. A lure similar to the Wardie Wobbler exists today, known as the "Lobo Spoon." The original 'Wardie' is now a collectable treasure, and a link to the great fishing history of Lake Winnipesaukee."

On goes the search for the Lobo.   ;)

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2016, 09:45 AM »

"Another colorful friend of Jim's (Warner) was Valentine Skiff, a part-time lake resident who made a very effective copper spoon called the "Wardie Wobbler." He also made some smaller sized trolling spoons, and these were deadly. Skiff would often convince Jim to play hooky and go out on the water. A lure similar to the Wardie Wobbler exists today, known as the "Lobo Spoon." The original 'Wardie' is now a collectable treasure, and a link to the great fishing history of Lake Winnipesaukee."

thats as far as i got ;D
would like to see the dies, i have my own secret hand hammered lure that takes an hour to cut and hammer out. a die set would be great ;D

GOZ

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Thanks for your help guys
Ill get a few pics of the die sets when I get a chance I to stop back into the machine shop I left them at
One die cuts the shape and punches the holes the second one puts the bends into the spoons

bucker1991

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2022, 04:37 PM »

So I have a wardie wobbler I found in an old tackle box.  Am I rich?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.