FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Plates  (Read 4774 times)

blaque

Trolling Plates
« on: Jun 09, 2005, 03:45 PM »
Looked to see if this had been covered yet and didnt see anytying. BUT.......im sick of being out of the game if theres no drift on the water, and Im not huge on trolling, but I think Im gonna have to join the crowd. Only problem is I run a 140horse  I/O mercruiser........not exactly trolling equipment. Do i spend 1500 bucks trying to get a kicker mounted to a fiberglass boat, or probably even more difficuilt, a bow mount minnkota that will probbaly be belly up in a couple hours (battery) or is there any value in trolling plates to control my speed a little more on the slow side? Obviously thats my cheapest option and would like to here a big "HECK YEAH trolling plates work wonders" lol  !! ??

Dr. IceGeek

Re: Trolling Plates
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2005, 05:39 PM »
I've seen  guys use trolling plates with good success.  Another option that people use is to drag a drift sock or two to slow you down. On smaller boats guys get away with pulling a couple of 5 gallon buckets.  As far as fuel consumption, I can troll all day on my 10 hp evinrude 4 stroke and maybe use 3 gallons of fuel, so if you troll alot it might be worth the investment.  The other advantage is the stealthiness of the smaller kickers when compared to the rumble of a big outboard or I/O.  If you are trolling shallow water fopr springtime browns I think your success will be higher with a kicker.  Just my 2 cents, there are lots of options out there.

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2005, 07:30 PM »
my opinion they SUCK had one on a 120 hp johnson . takes 4 ever to turn when the wind kicked up hardly no control . the real bad thing about that ya have to give it more gas and the back presure from the     exauste stalled the motor ended up getting a  15 hp kicker  .

blaque

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2005, 06:15 AM »
Thanks guys, a little disappointed though lol, would have been nice to hear that they are the best thing since sliced bread. I may be better off lookin at new boats! Hehe.........Nice new smokercraft or crestliner fully equipped!

Fisher50

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Years ago, I had a bracket that mounted on the lower unit of an I/O.  It really worked well, being centered on the boat.  The lower unit acted like a rudder, and the kicker turned with the lower unit.  Really worked well.  No idea if you can still get one.  It wasn't a big expense to buy it.  I have not seen one in quite a while. 

Good luck.  I troll with my 90 HP outboard with a drift sock mounted on the front trailer eye.  That works very well for me, and might also work for you.  Great lakes salmon trollers troll all day with an I/O.  A drift sock might work wonders for yo.
"But she's in good shape for the shape she's in...cause she's been through the fire before, and I believe she can take a whole lot more...So we raise her up every morning, we take her down every night, we don't let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right...on second thought, I do like to brag, cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag." -Johnny Cash

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2005, 05:57 AM »
If you decide to go with the bag idea (yes, they work well), do not use drift bags. They are not designed to take the stress. Buy a trolling bag. They are made of a heavier material and will last longer.
Pete Lewis

troutman

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2005, 06:33 PM »
I have my kicker hooked up to a panther electro steer with an electronic throttle control.
http://www.panthermarineproducts.com/
http://www.troll-masterpro.com/
Ray

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2005, 06:22 PM »
We have a trolling plate on the boat back home, maybe because it isn't the horsepower that your boat has (only a 60 horse), but I don't think I could really complain about ours.    Me and my dad have trolled a few days straight all day long with the trolling plate.    Never really did have a complaint about it.   Sure maybe the steering was not the best but if you are not looking to spend a large chunk of cash into a new trolling motor get the plate, the new ones have sheer pins that will break so that the plate just will flop up if you forgot to raise it and floor it the pins are easy to change even when you are out there in the water.    Its especially worth it if you don't troll too too much, otherwise you are left doing maintenance on 2 non-used engines instead of just one.
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

chowdah

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:24 PM »
I installed a trolling plate on my 125 hp merc outboard last week and trolled about 7 hours on 4-1. I was extremely happy with the way it worked. I did not cut a hole in it for the exhaust left it the way it was. I was worried about my purchase having bought it before checking here and reading all the bad press. The motor ran smooth the plate went up/down good. It does have a easily replaceable shear pin but I did double check it that it was up. Hope to remember it but I guess I may someday break one and find out its a pain to replace in the water! I got lucky and bought it off of a fella who did not install it on his 120 I/O cause he said he changed the prop to a different pitch? for trolling speed and it worked great for him. To me the trolling plate will serve its purpose until I may someday have a kicker which I agree to be best. But I wonder about the changing to a different prop trick. Would be cheaper than seperate motor.  Should be harmless to motor etc. Any one have any info on this?

Ice Dawg

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2006, 08:48 PM »
My150 will troll down to 550 RPMs which is between 1 and 2 MPH. I put a kicker on just to keep from putting hours on the big motor. Like Mac says it is a lot cheaper to rebuild a 9.9 than a 150. It isn't always possible to be able to afford the kicker though. A friend and I bought new boats at the same time with the same 150s on them. I bought a kicker and he plans to troll with the big motor. I think I know who might be paying more for repairs.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I have a kicker motor and a drop down plate. I use the kicker almost all the time, but I do like the plate for handlining....it's easier to steer with one hand.
FTD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.