FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98773 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #570 on: Jun 21, 2022, 11:19 AM »
Beautiful fish!

I fished the goose pool yesterday and was surprised there were 0 smallies.  Maybe for the best as the native browns were chewing.  Did you make it back there on fathers day?  I waded down from a couple miles upstream, not sure how grown in the trail is/was.

Bartman44

« Reply #571 on: Jun 22, 2022, 08:02 PM »
I skipped out fathers day evening and had a good night including what I think may be my pb rainbow on the 3w.  Excuse the poor pic it fought for so long I knew I didnt have much time.  5/6lbs.

Cool looking trout, no dots.

lowaccord66

« Reply #572 on: Jun 23, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Cool looking trout, no dots.

What tickles my curiosity is this river can support native browns that large, there are native bows but to a lessor extent.  I think thats a slobbly stockie but wouldnt it be cool if it was a giant wild bow.  Unlikely but fun to think about.

Steve H.

« Reply #573 on: Jun 23, 2022, 08:37 AM »
I skipped out fathers day evening and had a good night including what I think may be my pb rainbow on the 3w.  Excuse the poor pic it fought for so long I knew I didnt have much time.  5/6lbs.

Nice catch and gorgeous colors on that fish!   Must have been a hoot on the 3.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

bogtrotter

« Reply #574 on: Jun 23, 2022, 08:48 AM »
What tickles my curiosity is this river can support native browns that large, there are native bows but to a lessor extent.  I think thats a slobbly stockie but wouldnt it be cool if it was a giant wild bow.  Unlikely but fun to think about.

Out of curiousity, have you caught any good-sized brookies on the Farmington, presumably near the mouth of smaller streams flowing into it?

Or are there "just" browns and rainbows (and small mouth, of course)?

lowaccord66

« Reply #575 on: Jun 23, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Out of curiousity, have you caught any good-sized brookies on the Farmington, presumably near the mouth of smaller streams flowing into it?

Or are there "just" browns and rainbows (and small mouth, of course)?

Yes there are.  I have caught a few this season in the stretch you fished.  Not that big, I think Ive topped out around 15-17" which are respectable.

lowaccord66

« Reply #576 on: Jun 25, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Interesting night on the housy 2 nights ago.  Nailed some smallies on streamers then switched to iso dries which got gobbled up by more bass, the trout ignored them.  Evening turned to night and I switched to a mouse...never would have guessed it but a respectable rock bass ate the mouse.  Greedy guy!

westernmas

« Reply #577 on: Jun 27, 2022, 09:40 AM »
Got back from a 10 year old bday party Saturday around 930 and had the itch to fish so I packed up the fly rod plus a couple of mouse flies and headed to the farmy. I fished my usual stretch that has been productive for me. I hooked what felt like a really small fish in the first half hour but heard a few other fish rise in that time. They may have been eating fireflies as the amount out that night was oddly captivating. After an hour I finally landed about a 15” brown that fought well for its size. I hooked another that came off due to its violent head shakes. I called it quits around midnight. I’ll take 1/3 for a few hours of mousing.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Bartman44

« Reply #578 on: Jun 27, 2022, 11:11 AM »
Nice brown, you have to get your time in when you can.   

westernmas

« Reply #579 on: Jun 27, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Nice brown, you have to get your time in when you can.

Thanks, hoping one of these times its something over 20".  The guy I get the mice flies has 2 larger sizes and a rat fly with stinger hook in the tail that I may need to get to entice some larger fish.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #580 on: Jun 27, 2022, 01:22 PM »
never would have guessed it but a respectable rock bass ate the mouse.  Greedy guy!

Get them on 5/8 Jitterbugs all the time...

westernmas

« Reply #581 on: Jun 27, 2022, 04:25 PM »
Get them on 5/8 Jitterbugs all the time...

They must feed at night a lot.  It is the only species I've ever caught ice fishing Congamond at night.  Granted I have only tried a handful of times.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #582 on: Jun 27, 2022, 05:03 PM »
Get them a bunch on the Conn. River thru the ice and open water...

bogtrotter

« Reply #583 on: Jun 27, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Got back from a 10 year old bday party Saturday around 930 and had the itch to fish so I packed up the fly rod plus a couple of mouse flies and headed to the farmy. I fished my usual stretch that has been productive for me. I hooked what felt like a really small fish in the first half hour but heard a few other fish rise in that time. They may have been eating fireflies as the amount out that night was oddly captivating. After an hour I finally landed about a 15” brown that fought well for its size. I hooked another that came off due to its violent head shakes. I called it quits around midnight. I’ll take 1/3 for a few hours of mousing.

It sounds like the fish really made you work for what you caught!

I'm always ambivalent about days (or, for that matter, nights) like that.

On the one hand, I am grateful that I caught anything at all, but on the other I'm disappointed that I didn't do better.

So I can relate to what you went through.

lowaccord66

« Reply #584 on: Jun 28, 2022, 07:59 AM »
I went last night to the housy and caught another rock bass on a mouse.  Mouse hits were lacking, probably due to the massive sulphur hatch before darkness fell.  I was bailing trout euro nymphing and switched to the mouse for a bit.  That bite sucked so I went to a big 5" streamer and caught some bows.  I haven't broken out the glowing fly line yet, maybe tonight!  (Scientific anglers makes it, super helpful to see where the end of your cast lands)

I can appreciate your recent success Pat.  Night fishing for trout is a lonely mostly boring game outside of weird things scaring you.  (Last night it was a heron for me). 

If you want that 20" you gotta switch rivers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.