FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What's the definition for " Pro Angler"  (Read 36636 times)

archbishop

Re: What's the definition for " Pro Angler"
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 02:03 PM »
i think the term "pro" like in any other sport is someone who gets paid but who knows it could mean anyone who has a sponsor is a pro

eyedoktr

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 06:09 AM »
I have a couple of sponsors and fish pro tournaments. Even though my partner and I cashed a check in last week's Cabela's MWC tournament, we don't consider ourselves pros. By definition, that may make us pros to some people but not to us.
Pete Lewis

devil-man

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 07:02 AM »
Dok- First of all, congrats on the fifth place finish!
IMO cashing a check makes you pros.

The only time I've ever gotten paid to fish is when I said I was working but I was actually on the lake...  8)

slipbob

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2005, 03:51 PM »
I have a couple of sponsors and fish pro tournaments. Even though my partner and I cashed a check in last week's Cabela's MWC tournament, we don't consider ourselves pros. By definition, that may make us pros to some people but not to us.

Yeah, I second devilman.  Congrats on that eyedoktr.  That's gotta be pretty fun stuff and if you can get paid a little bit too, even better.  The winning stringer of walleyes at that tournament probably weighed more than all of the walleyes I catch in a year combined.  :P

Pikeguy

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Somehow I doubt that ;)

Rochbassman

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 11:13 AM »
A pro fisherman is someone that PAYS an entry fee to participate in a tournament in which you can win a monetary value. Virtually everyone has been a pro fisherman at one time or another(derbies). A few make this a way of life.
professional/amateur

Hood

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 12:03 PM »
All this talk of "PROs" and no mention of guides or charter captains. They are the professional fisherman. The guys on the circuits are ok, but charter captains and guides dont have the sponsorship, they gotta do it themselves, nobody is providing everything for them....that separates the field IMO. EVer notice when they go for somethin else than bass they always hire someone? Hardly ever see em goin for it on their own. I would prolly catch more fish if I had a $30,000 boat and every piece of tackle on earth to help me along free of charge. I would like some of those guys to come up here and shore fish with me and my bucket of minnows and 2 different colored husky jerks. I wouldnt even dare to try and take em trout fishing..... ::)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

akdg

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 02:23 PM »
All this talk of "PROs" and no mention of guides or charter captains. They are the professional fisherman.

If your gonna go there, what about commercial fisherman?  They don't get paid unless they deliver - literally  ;D

Hood

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 02:24 PM »
If your gonna go there, what about commercial fisherman?  They don't get paid unless they deliver - literally  ;D

them too ;D
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Pikeguy

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 02:25 PM »

They are not "anglers" though... they are fisherman

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #40 on: Jul 06, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Bottom line ...ANYONE who gets paid to fish or fish with someone that should enjoy doing it for free !

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #41 on: Jul 06, 2006, 08:32 PM »
some one who has too much time on their hands
OR      [IMG]

eyedoktr

« Reply #42 on: Jul 07, 2006, 08:35 AM »
O.K. last year I posted that even though I had finished 5th in a major tournament (Cabela's MWC @ Henderson Harbor) and had my face splashed all over tv on The Outdoor Channel, I really didn't consider myself a "pro"

This year, I managed a 2nd place in the same tournament and hopefully (for my sponsors) will be on tv again. The more sponsorship I get really helps alot. It also (I feel) raises my expectations for higher finishes. Maybe, and I say "maybe" I am considered a pro by alot of you. To me, I'm just a guy who has the desire and ability to fish at this high a level of competition.

Oh, and Crowkiller, trust me, I don't have too much time on my hands. I work a fulltime job at Kodak (40+hrs/wk). do photography (just shot the LPGA), run the sound board for a rock band, and still try to fish a couple of times a week.
Pete Lewis

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #43 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:02 AM »
that statement wasn't directed towards you just my oppinion
OR      [IMG]

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #44 on: Jul 07, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Were talking about those bigshots that stricktly fish for the money !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.