FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White Perch in the County  (Read 3870 times)

Huemorin

White Perch in the County
« on: Aug 11, 2021, 12:16 PM »
If I post, I often will post about going to camp up on Square Lake as it's one of my favorite things to do.  I have been going 6-8 times a year for the last 17 years, so I have pretty much had the opportunity to catch about every species the lake holds.  When I was up there around the fourth of July a gentlemen on the lake told me he caught a white perch, I originally thought he was foolish as I had never caught a white perch out of their before.  I thought he might of mistaken it for a chub or something.  The next day trolling, I caught a White Perch about 4-5 colors down.  Since this time I have probably been out trolling a half dozen times with the most recent times being this past weekend, and I am now catching at least one it seems every time out.  What would be the reason for this?  Are they coming from Eagle or Cross Lake?  The yellow perch population has ballooned the last few years in the FRC, but I hadn't heard of the white perch until now.  Just wondering what people might think about this and how it affects the salmon and trout fishery.  I certainly don't think it's a coincidence that the salmon and trout fishing has seemed to slow a bit for me my last handful of times out.  Tight Lines.

JDK

Re: White Perch in the County
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2021, 01:39 PM »
If you are only catching one per time, consider yourself lucky.

Last time I fished Square I had 10.  Talked to an acquaintance who said he stopped fishing there because he was catching so many.

# SAND

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2021, 02:17 PM »
Perch spread like the plague.  Followed by smallmouth bass.  Maybe even rock bass behind them.  Pray that you don't see those in your lifetime.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

JDK

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2021, 05:03 PM »
And as a friend of mine correctly says, we wanted to be like the rest of the state and successfully accomplished it. Dumbasses
# SAND

MarkNFish

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2021, 01:49 PM »
JDK and I caught them on Cross last winter, and they are confirmed to be in Square (as you know) and Long.  I haven't heard anything about Eagle yet but I suppose it's only a matter of time.  It's unfortunate at best. 

Maybe they can add a category for them during the ice fishing derby ::)

Huemorin

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:45 PM »
Certainly not a good sign

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2021, 12:14 PM »
My 3 year old grandson caught 17 off their dock at Cross Lake yesterday
# SAND

sebagosalmo

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2021, 07:58 PM »
 Been catching them on long lake for 2 years now , nothing big but it’s only a matter of time 👎🏿
Hopefully they don’t damage the smelt or brook trout population

woodchip1

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2021, 12:39 PM »
White Perch population expands so fast that people throwing back small ones which will hurt Smelt population. They compete for food. all extra White perch caught should be given to Lobster frishermen for Bait.  This also helps gives lakes a chance for Bigger White perch, even after they are filleted for Fish cakes,Lobster fishermen could still put them to good use.

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2021, 08:15 AM »
Been catching them on long lake for 2 years now , nothing big but it’s only a matter of time 👎🏿
Hopefully they don’t damage the smelt or brook trout population

I believe they have been in there 4-5 years now but I have never caught any...yet.  They have exploded in Cross and Square the last few years.
# SAND

woodchip1

« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2021, 07:30 PM »
a fellow friend lobster fisherman  said he caught more lobsters with White perch than ever  and price was cheaper than the bait hed been buying , He said bring me more i like it>...

MarkNFish

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:01 AM »
a fellow friend lobster fisherman  said he caught more lobsters with White perch than ever  and price was cheaper than the bait hed been buying , He said bring me more i like it>...
Unfortunately, there aren't many lobster fishermen in Aroostook County.

woodchip1

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2021, 06:11 PM »
Put the salt to every layer in Pails and seal they will last a long time.

jacksmelt

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2021, 08:25 AM »
last 3 yrs been getting them off shore at the cross lake boat launch. i do with them what i do with yellows. keep the big ones and chuck the small ones in the bushes. friend of ours been getting them at his camp on froid. very sad. as if we didnt have enough issues with the yellows and hornpout. if theyre in froid im sure theyre in eagle by now. mattter of time they will find their way down to the st. john where at least there they will be eaten by the bass and muskie.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2021, 04:05 AM »
I caught a white perch in the thoroughfare near the bridge by Long so they are surly in Long also. I am putting my money on some dumb ass bucket bio putting them in Cross as thats where the first ones I herd of in that area.
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.