FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Marine radio vs cell phone  (Read 1941 times)

MILLERMANKT

Marine radio vs cell phone
« on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:08 PM »
How many of you have a marine radio plus your cell phone ?  I've never really had a problem with my cell phone , just wondering if you more experienced guys recommend a mariner radio. I'm hoping to get out more on Erie and Ontario. And is a hand held or mounted advised ? Thank you for any advice

taxid

Re: Marine radio vs cell phone
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2022, 04:22 AM »
Doesn't a Marine Radio also give you weather reports and alerts? Maybe an advantage over cell phones? OTOH todays cell phones probably do that too? I assume although I do not have a cell phone.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:20 AM »
both
rarely if ever use the VHF these days.
bridges and locks is when you need a VHF...........for the present.

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2022, 11:33 AM »
I have both,  I use my boat in saltwater as well so many times there is no cell service.  In the great lakes and finger lakes, the State Police monitor the radio.

SeanP

modeler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2022, 02:34 PM »
I use both, cell phones are nice but you can only call one person at a time. With a radio you can broadcast to a lot of people at once

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:05 AM »
lots of places on water  there is  no service .....i  don't  use a boat  big enough to worry about and   going threw the  locks most  people  do call ahead with the cell phones  now
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:15 PM »
Mounted marine radios don’t fall overboard…

trapper2000

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:52 PM »
funny you say that i dropped mine  and  broke  it yesterday

finsntins

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2022, 12:00 PM »
if you are going to fish erie or ontario,you should have a fixed mount vhf radio and 8' antenna.dont waste your money on a portable radio as they are pretty much useless with only being able to transmit at 5 watts and short antenna.as stated above there are dead spots for cell service out there and if you ever did have an emergency and dialed 911,there could be anywhere from 5-10 minute delay in help being called due to the call having to be transfered between different agencies.uniden makes a decent radio that is fairly priced.you will want to make sure you get one with a programable scan feature,.also i like to have one with the noaa emergency alert mode that will sound an alarm if any weather warnings are issued.
MISS B.HAVEN' SPORT FISHING

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2022, 03:28 PM »

I have both

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2022, 03:48 PM »
if you are going to fish erie or ontario,you should have a fixed mount vhf radio and 8' antenna.dont waste your money on a portable radio as they are pretty much useless with only being able to transmit at 5 watts and short antenna.as stated above there are dead spots for cell service out there and if you ever did have an emergency and dialed 911,there could be anywhere from 5-10 minute delay in help being called due to the call having to be transfered between different agencies.uniden makes a decent radio that is fairly priced.you will want to make sure you get one with a programable scan feature,.also i like to have one with the noaa emergency alert mode that will sound an alarm if any weather warnings are issued.

I fish both Erie and Ontario and never have trouble getting a cell signal out on the lakes.

trapper2000

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2022, 07:56 AM »
because your  cool mac .......now get fishing

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2022, 05:09 AM »
because your  cool mac .......now get fishing

:rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

skinny40

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2022, 09:35 AM »
As soon as I get near either lake I lose signal or my phone says welcome to Canada.... international rates apply. Lol so basically useless out there for help. On a plus side when I finally do get time to get out there nobody can call and bug me. Hopefully I can loose cell signal out there soon and do better on the browns and perch this spring. Last year was not good for me. Who's ready for spring?

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Both and adding a epirb this season as my nautical adventures are starting to take me 50-80 miles from shore.  Vhf required to get bridges to open when I am accessing some spots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.