FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish finder / chart plotter  (Read 3074 times)

gamefisher

Fish finder / chart plotter
« on: Mar 12, 2022, 03:42 PM »
I love ice fishing but would be lieing if I said I wasn't looking forward to getting the polarkraft out.   This winter,  my son loaded the hummingbird fishsmart app on my phone for our home lake and I am enjoying.   I would like to replace my x67 fish finder on the boat to something that would show it on the boat and a regular f.f.  I want this swap to be simple and decent priced, I am the most inept tech. Person on here.   Is there something out there? Thanks

zwiggles

Re: Fish finder / chart plotter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2022, 06:56 PM »
The sky is the limit with electronics  :o

What’s your general price range?

One item I am keen to get on my next electronics package is something which can create depth charts as I troll around. For some of the more remote lakes this can make a big difference as the standard charts can lack for current info.

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2022, 06:21 AM »
The sky is the limit with electronics  :o

What’s your general price range?

One item I am keen to get on my next electronics package is something which can create depth charts as I troll around. For some of the more remote lakes this can make a big difference as the standard charts can lack for current info.

I'm not sure with a perfectly good f.f. already on the boat, maybe 300--400 if something even exists for that.   I know I can just look at my phone but the old eyes aren't what they once were on that little phone screen

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2022, 08:59 AM »
Buy used.
I put two HDS8's on my Trophy for less than $400 each.
When I move to FL in October, I will be looking for a unit for my boat down there.
I will only use one on that boat because the fishing is different.
Anyway, I was looking at a HDS10 yesterday on FB for only $500.

BTW, I hear you on the "olde eyes" comment.
Don't go smaller than 7" and you will really be happier with 8 or larger.

Good luck.

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2022, 09:47 AM »
Mac is spot on for the size. My father is in his 60s, and can barely see the 4” finder we have on our boat, but the 7” works for him. Same with the idea on used products, lots of fisherman upgrade and let go of the old units for cheap.

Also something to consider is if you like the humminbird app maybe staying with the same family of electronics would be a good idea for the ff/plotter.

Maybe try and go to cabelas, or something similar and check out the different brands in person. Then check for a used one on FB or eBay, etc.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2022, 10:11 AM »
Yea, the only reason I use Lowrance is because I’m familiar with them.

“Old dog - new tricks”

If I was starting over, or going from your old X67, I would go Bird

gamefisher

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2022, 10:48 AM »
Thank you gentlemen,  makes sense.   Keep em coming.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2022, 04:19 PM »
I found this online today while waiting for an install to finish:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/humminbird-helix-7-chirp-mega-si-gps-g3n-gps-fishfinder-chartplotter?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CCAB%7CTopPerformers%7CBoating&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tC-joTJ9gIVhOCzCh2VkQh5EAQYASABEgIQ9vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless I am missing something this seems like a great deal to me. Plotter, side & down imaging, and the auto charting feature are pretty much what I would want for my main unit on a trolling boat.

gamefisher

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2022, 05:22 AM »
I found this online today while waiting for an install to finish:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/humminbird-helix-7-chirp-mega-si-gps-g3n-gps-fishfinder-chartplotter?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CCAB%7CTopPerformers%7CBoating&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tC-joTJ9gIVhOCzCh2VkQh5EAQYASABEgIQ9vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless I am missing something this seems like a great deal to me. Plotter, side & down imaging, and the auto charting feature are pretty much what I would want for my main unit on a trolling boat.

Thank you very much,  that might be the ticket for the money.   Hopefully a tech dummy like me can learn how to use it.!  (Let alone install)

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2022, 05:30 AM »
Thank you very much,  that might be the ticket for the money.   Hopefully a tech dummy like me can learn how to use it.!  (Let alone install)

you tube

gamefisher

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2022, 05:38 AM »
Just noticed sportsman's guide has the g4 for $474 and the di for $522 but don't know the differences or better value for what I need to what zwiggles posted from cabelas

gamefisher

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Any love out there for the Garmin echomap uhd 63cv?  Seems simplier than the helix7 perhaps?  Some downsides and upsides it appears?

CF

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2022, 07:11 AM »
Probably not  a big help...

But I have a Marcum RT-9 I have yet to try on open water. I've got the open water 'ducer and the camera.
It's got mapping and tracking features with Navionics (which are half-azx) and GPS. Looking forward to trying it out!!
Formerly CLAMFARMER

zwiggles

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2022, 10:37 AM »
Any love out there for the Garmin echomap uhd 63cv?  Seems simplier than the helix7 perhaps?  Some downsides and upsides it appears?

It looks like (at a quick glance) it does not have down, or side imaging. I don’t use these modes often, but they can be super helpful at times. Mostly when trolling I do not use side imaging unless it’s very early in the season cruising shorelines.

The Garmin also looks like a nice set up to me.

fishinjohn

« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2022, 11:17 AM »
A buddy of mine just bought 2 echomaps.. he installed them this past weekend and hasnt had the boat out yet..
I will tell you this...
I switched from a lowrance to a helix 9 on the dash and a helix 7 IN THE DASH for my mapping..
They are easier to operate than the lowrance unit..
I wasnt sure I'd like them... but now that I've got a season under my belt I LOVE EM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.