FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some New Regs West of US.. Just Interesting  (Read 1490 times)

CF

Some New Regs West of US.. Just Interesting
« on: Mar 18, 2022, 01:07 PM »
Notable regulation changes

New statewide regulation for rainbow, brown trout, and splake in lakes and ponds. The season will now be open year-round, with a five-fish daily limit, any size, with a “no more than two longer than 12 inches” harvest rule
Statewide Atlantic salmon regulations will now allow for a year-round open season
Ice fishing is permitted on all waters in New York unless specifically prohibited with the exception of Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Lewis, St. Lawrence, Warren, and Washington counties where previous rules remain
New specific dates replaces floating dates for statewide season openers to include: May 1 - Walleye, Northern Pike, Pickerel and Tiger Muskellunge; June 1 – Muskellunge. Note that iDEC will allow for the fishing of muskellunge beginning the last Saturday in May to accommodate previously planned fishing trips June 15 - Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass.
Oneida lake: five-fish daily walleye limit
Skaneateles Lake: no daily limit, 12-inch minimum, open year-round
Statewide sunfish daily harvest limit has been reduced from 50 to 25 fish
Statewide minimum size limit for crappie has been increased from nine inches to 10

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2022/03/dec-announces-new-fishing-regulations-beginning-april-1-see-rules-for-oneida-skaneateles-lakes-more.html?fbclid=IwAR34EurAFaz7VdpMK6FRFySOdpEKe16NPrf2tLzYZ1epymCvuf6Lx1BYdU8
Formerly CLAMFARMER

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Some New Regs West of US.. Just Interesting
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2022, 04:04 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  I track out that way, too.  Back to our roots I guess  ;D

And there's more.  Fishing for trout in rivers and streams is open all year there now, with C&R, ALO from Oct. 16 through Mar. 31.   A number or states nearby are going the same way.  I asked an IF&W contact if there was any chance that Maine would do something similar.  He had 2 words.....NOT happening.

CF

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2022, 04:38 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  I track out that way, too.  Back to our roots I guess  ;D

And there's more.  Fishing for trout in rivers and streams is open all year there now, with C&R, ALO from Oct. 16 through Mar. 31.   A number or states nearby are going the same way.  I asked an IF&W contact if there was any chance that Maine would do something similar.  He had 2 words.....NOT happening.
Yeah Jim... I wonder what that might mean for Finger Lakes tribs... Do you know of any special regs around those streams? They are sometimes wall to wall spawning rainbows in March. My dad used to take to Salmon Creek and Cayuga Inlet in March. You could often see hundreds of fish on redds just form the bridges. Quite a sight!!!
Formerly CLAMFARMER

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2022, 07:17 PM »
Joe, In reading DEC's Trout Management Plan, it appears that the Finger Lakes trips are excluded from the change to year round.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/troutstreammp.pdf

I don't know how to do the link thing on here, but you should be able to make it work.  Check Page 7 of the plan under "Scope."

Yeah Jim... I wonder what that might mean for Finger Lakes tribs... Do you know of any special regs around those streams? They are sometimes wall to wall spawning rainbows in March. My dad used to take to Salmon Creek and Cayuga Inlet in March. You could often see hundreds of fish on redds just form the bridges. Quite a sight!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.