FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shad Run  (Read 1853 times)

bogtrotter

Shad Run
« on: Mar 24, 2022, 09:33 PM »
Could someone please PM me when the shad run begins in earnest in the Pioneer Valley?

I'm about an hour or so away, and I generally only have a 4 hour block of time open on the weekends, so it's not easy for me to check.

stripernut

Re: Shad Run
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2022, 07:06 AM »
If I know, I will be happy to let you know...
You can also check out the fish count at and see when they are coming up the river;
https://www.hged.com/community-environment/barrett-fishway/fishway-counts.aspx

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2022, 12:28 PM »
Something about "tree buds being the size of mouse ears".
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2022, 06:28 AM »
Thanks to those who have responded (or may do so in the future).

MelonBelly

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2022, 09:28 PM »
  Your "natal river", the Chicopee, tends to get them pretty early. It is slightly warmer than the big river and is the perennial early season spot. The past two seasons, I'd get my start there by the second week of April, but sharpies probably got them even sooner.  Early May is generally a good bet. I'll let you know when I begin putting them on the bank.
  Down here, we associate the forsythia bloom with their arrival. We'll be catching shad before the trees have unfurled their leaves. Early season shad are fat and immaculate, unlike the wasted beaters of June. I think your prior trips down here have been timed way too late.

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2022, 05:53 AM »
I think your prior trips down here have been timed way too late.

I think you're right.  Thanks for the tip.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2022, 07:12 AM »
I think you're right.  Thanks for the tip.

Hudson gets a great shad run and may be just as close?

bogtrotter

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2022, 07:24 AM »
I actually did not know the Hudson had a shad run (although it makes sense that it would), and it is indeed just as close, but I'm reluctant to make the investment in a NY State license.

Due to time constraints, I have only ever bought a MA license, and limit my fishing in the adjoining States to their Free Fishing Days.

scooper47

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2022, 07:53 AM »
I actually did not know the Hudson had a shad run (although it makes sense that it would), and it is indeed just as close, but I'm reluctant to make the investment in a NY State license.

You may want to double-check this, but I believe you can fish the Hudson River with a NY saltwater license all the way to Albany, and the SW license is much cheaper than the FW. It's a shame our SW licenses aren't reciprocal.

touge30

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2022, 08:26 AM »
its illegal to fish for shad in the hudson

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Didnt know that but man do you catch plenty on sabiki getting herring.

bogtrotter

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2022, 01:44 PM »
I've often wondered about States that have rules that prohibit you from "fishing for X."

What does that mean exactly? 

More precisely, if you are fishing for "Y" (which is OK to fish for) but you end up catching "X"( which it is not OK to fish for), what are you supposed to do?

Get in your time machine, go back in time, and refrain from making the cast that you caught X on?  LOL

If it simply means you are supposed to release X if you do catch one, that's fine and dandy - - I release 90% of what I catch anyway.

Virtually the only time I keep anything is if it has swallowed the hook so badly that there is no point releasing it.

touge30

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2022, 03:06 PM »
exactly sturgeon are also closed in the hudson.it  is supposed to be realeased immediatley they dont even want it removed from the water,no picture taking no undue stress.

zwiggles

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2022, 07:12 PM »
I've often wondered about States that have rules that prohibit you from "fishing for X."

What does that mean exactly? 

More precisely, if you are fishing for "Y" (which is OK to fish for) but you end up catching "X"( which it is not OK to fish for), what are you supposed to do?

Get in your time machine, go back in time, and refrain from making the cast that you caught X on?  LOL

If it simply means you are supposed to release X if you do catch one, that's fine and dandy - - I release 90% of what I catch anyway.

Virtually the only time I keep anything is if it has swallowed the hook so badly that there is no point releasing it.

I feel the ambiguity is intentional, and have often pondered the same thing. Some states have daily closures on species from a certain time after sunset until a certain time before sunrise, but it’s perfectly legal to catch most species 24x7.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2022, 05:44 PM »
Im with you guys its confusing for sure.  You're not suppose to fish for striper in the eez but I find myself and a lot of boats bluefishing there at times.  Circlehook regulation is the same thing.  If you're not "targeting" stripers then non-circle is ok. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.