FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crawlers  (Read 5962 times)

skinny40

Crawlers
« on: Apr 07, 2022, 05:44 AM »
First night I went out this year. Got a few, back is shot, hopefully be able to go out tonight. Also hit the stream and got a couple giant oak leaf grubs yesterday. I was surprised how big they were. Really would like a bunch more of them.

taxid

Re: Crawlers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:54 AM »
Have you ever put red cellophane over the lens of you flashlight to reduce the likelihood of them getting spooked and going underground? I never have, but always wanted to try it. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

greensider

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Definitely harder worming as you get older as far as light I now use headlamp instead of flashing far easier and most have a red light on them I am at 1500 feet no holes here yet

greensider

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Definitely harder worming as you get older as far as light I now use headlamp instead of flashing far easier and most have a red light on them I am at 1500 feet no holes here yet

mcully

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:40 AM »
driveway was loaded this morning. Go find a good parking lot

fishinjohn

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2022, 09:01 AM »
Have you ever put red cellophane over the lens of you flashlight to reduce the likelihood of them getting spooked and going underground? I never have, but always wanted to try it.
As greenside said!!
Get a headlamp and use the red lense...
You'll be amazed on how the crawlers dont scurry away as fast

greensider

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2022, 10:30 AM »
Assuming most people get them on lawns has anyone ever looked in the woods for crawlers

oatkasut

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2022, 10:33 AM »
turn over leaves and where there is dampness there usually are worms!Oak leaves best!

skinny40

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2022, 11:03 AM »
I don't play tug of war anymore. I just walk the streets at night and scoop them up with a credit card. Use the brightest light you got.

62 & Done

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2022, 11:05 AM »
I tried a red lamp last night. there weren't a lot of worms out as my area was dry with a slight breeze but the ones that were out did not like that red lamp at all . They were gone as fast as with a plain bright light. Tonite will be better, I'll load up tonite.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2022, 11:07 AM »
Went to the park at 5:30 this morning and picked up a good pound in about 20 minutes. Just walked the road and parking lot.

I don’t chase them around in the lawn any more. Use my chef’s tongs to pick them up.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2022, 11:13 AM »
I was thinking a small cordless shop vacuum might do the trick! ;)

gotagetm

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2022, 11:15 AM »
We usually buy ares but when I do pick them I wear rain pants and crawl ,back can't take bending over slot any more

skinny40

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2022, 11:15 AM »
When hunting on dirt you must move slow. As soon as you see one keep only the edge of the light on them. If you put them in the center of a bright light it doesn't matter what color it is. I probably got 300-400 last night without much effort and if I was younger I'd have 1000. If we get a good rain tonight and it stayed warmer it would be really easy. Just scoop them up with a credit card and put in a coffee can. Put a sheet of paper or cardboard on the top of the worm bedding and dump them on it. Any that are dead will be on the cardboard and be easy to discard and the live ones will borrow in. Only way I'd ever try getting them in dirt is with the electric rods but for obvious reasons I don't recommend most people do that.

Yotecatcher

« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2022, 02:43 PM »
4x4 piece of 1/4 inch chicken wire staked down or make a frame for it and set it out on your lawn or wherever you go for them let it sit for a bit and then go pick it up. You'll have nightcrawlers without straining your spine.
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.