FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First Boat Trip - lakers  (Read 1921 times)

lowaccord66

First Boat Trip - lakers
« on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:14 AM »
On the small boat.  Ripped up to Champlain and let some lakers have it.  Boat ran well.  Need to change the gear oil and it'll be good for the season.  Landed 20 or so largest was 17 and had a big fat head.  Lots of them were 9-10lbs.  Nice weather, 56 air but the water was 33-34.  Im off the 15th to 25th so will go back.  Also need to get the big boat fixed and in the slip. 

taxid

Re: First Boat Trip - lakers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:49 AM »
On the small boat.  Ripped up to Champlain and let some lakers have it.  Boat ran well.  Need to change the gear oil and it'll be good for the season.  Landed 20 or so largest was 17 and had a big fat head.  Lots of them were 9-10lbs.  Nice weather, 56 air but the water was 33-34.  Im off the 15th to 25th so will go back.  Also need to get the big boat fixed and in the slip. 

Glad to hear you got some decent weather and got into some fish. Weather has been up and down here in the midwest. Lots of wind. Rain mixed with snow the next few days.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:33 AM »
Doesn't look like you needed to dodge much ice either. Nice first boat trip!

scooper47

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:08 AM »
Are lakers edible?

deerhunter

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:09 AM »
was the lake completely free of ice

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2022, 12:27 PM »
Nice work Jon.  Didn't get to scratch the laker itch as much as you'd like through the ice.  Glad you hammered em in the boat.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2022, 03:06 PM »
Nice going! Vertical or trolling?

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2022, 04:05 PM »
No ice on the lake aside from a couple bergs.  All vertical all the time for me.  Agree Pat I didnt touch them as much as id like.  Highlight was driving the truck to a laker spot on champ that probably never saw a vehicle.  Thanks Geoff!  Cecil we have had crazy up and down weather.  I saw the forecast, cleared my calendar at work and let it rip!

Lakers are edible but not for this guy.  If they are small and smoked thats the only way ill eat one.

KingPerch

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2022, 05:49 PM »
Good work, Jon!!🎣
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2022, 01:13 AM »

scooper47

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2022, 07:49 AM »
Lakers are edible but not for this guy.  If they are small and smoked thats the only way ill eat one.

Thank you.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:19 AM »
Thank you.

Anytime.  Keep in mind a decent chef can make anything good.  For example I have eaten dozens of smoked skate cheeks.  One of the best trash fish meals Ive ever had.

fish wayniac

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:31 AM »
John, Sounds like a good first trip out .
Nice looking Togue!
I grew up in VT but mostly fished for Bass, pike and perch up around the islands. What launch do you use ? If you don’t want to spot burn that’s fine.
I know a charter guide BP Adventures fished the spring from Converse bay for Salmon and Lakers and then goes to Ontario.
Tight lines!

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2022, 06:44 PM »
I use a lot of them Wayne depends on the wind forecast most days.  Theres been days Ive had to switch launches because of wind/waves.  Im usually headed out from the NY side.

porkpiehat

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2022, 09:17 PM »
No ice on the lake aside from a couple bergs.  All vertical all the time for me.  Agree Pat I didnt touch them as much as id like.  Highlight was driving the truck to a laker spot on champ that probably never saw a vehicle.  Thanks Geoff!  Cecil we have had crazy up and down weather.  I saw the forecast, cleared my calendar at work and let it rip!

I never considered jigging this early in the season. Going out sunday maybe I will...count it toward my crappy record on the ice this winter lol. Glad the trip was worth it for you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.