FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing Browns in Lake Ontario, Maine style!!  (Read 3275 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Fishing Browns in Lake Ontario, Maine style!!
« on: Apr 14, 2022, 09:01 AM »
My wife and I just arrived at Lake Ontario 5:30am this morning. We plan on being here a week or more with our own boat. We have fished here twice for Kings in the past and done very well after a learning curve.
It seems most locals really struggle to catch fish in gin clear waters. I was curious if any Maine guys fished here using similar techniques as we would in Maine? Like smaller lures, lighter fluorocarbon and longer set back from the boat? Any of you tried Mooselooks or DB's? How about a lip hooked live emerald shiner in 5-15' of water?
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

taxid

Re: Fishing Browns in Lake Ontario, Maine style!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2022, 09:40 AM »
My wife and I just arrived at Lake Ontario 5:30am this morning. We plan on being here a week or more with our own boat. We have fished here twice for Kings in the past and done very well after a learning curve.
It seems most locals really struggle to catch fish in gin clear waters. I was curious if any Maine guys fished here using similar techniques as we would in Maine? Like smaller lures, lighter fluorocarbon and longer set back from the boat? Any of you tried Mooselooks or DB's? How about a lip hooked live emerald shiner in 5-15' of water?

I can't speak for Lake Ontario but over here on Lake Michigan trolling long lines closer to shore with planer boards seems to work well for early season browns. At least it used to. Unfortunately over here brown trout plants have been greatly reduced, and add to that the cormorants and increasing numbers of walleye feeding on newly planted browns, there aren't nearly the number of browns there used to be.

I hope you do well and keep us posted!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

gotagetm

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2022, 09:54 AM »
That's how the browns in spring here are caught alot running shoreline with spoons off boards or I got them also longline right out back of boat

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2022, 10:36 AM »

Early spring many things may work stick baits , spoons , in shallow even casting swim baits , don’t count anything out , watch your trolling speed

woodchip1

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2022, 07:25 AM »
Smelt color spoons always work for me.

deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2022, 07:53 AM »
spoons and stick baits in 8 to 12 ft of water. the murky the water, the better. mexico bay area is good. head up past the power plant

METOVT

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2022, 06:06 AM »
Good luck.

CF

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2022, 09:43 AM »
NO PICS = NO FISH   ;D  :thumbup_smilie:
Formerly CLAMFARMER

Scalloper

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2022, 03:06 PM »
We have been picking away at them. I still work 8-4 so if the weather is good we get out for a few hours in the afternoon.
I fished one evening using DB’s and landed out 6 in 1.5hrs but a lot of cookie cutters about 2-3 lbs. Saturday I was trying all spoons looking for a odd king. Ended up doing 9 for 12 that morning and 5 for 9 in the evening. We haven’t kept many. Yesterday we did 12 for 18 all browns.

gotagetm

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2022, 03:16 PM »
Very cool!!

deerhunter

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2022, 08:41 AM »
nice box o fish

filetandrelease

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2022, 09:21 AM »

Well done 👍

fish wayniac

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2022, 06:47 PM »
Nice fish from the big Lake O .

Scalloper

« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2022, 06:46 PM »
The DBs worked remarkably well. Man it can be tough though at times. The locals really know what to do and when to do it. Many of these guys would do 30+ to the boat on a 1/2 day charter. We needed to work a long day to do 12-15.
Landed out first walleye today and a very nice one. Season is closed until next weekend so I won’t be able to see how they are for table fare. We landed one of our best browns today at a hair over 8 lbs. Heading back tomorrow morning. We marked a few kings today but I worked them for 5 hrs now stop and not even a strike. One guy landed two one was 19.25 the other 21 lbs

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2022, 08:06 PM »
Great brown and a trophy walleye 8)  Kind of addictive out in that area!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.