FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striped Bass Comment Period  (Read 1972 times)

CF

Striped Bass Comment Period
« on: Apr 15, 2022, 06:49 AM »
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
Draft Amendment 7 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Striped Bass For Public Comment

"1.1.1.2 Recreational Release Mortality
Recreational release mortality constitutes a large component of annual fishing mortality—the largest component from 2017 through 2020—because the striped bass fishery is predominantly recreational and an overwhelming majority of the catch is released alive, either due to cultural preferences (i.e., fishing with the intent to catch and release striped bass) or regulation (e.g., the fish is not of legal size). Some stakeholders value the ability to harvest striped bass, while others value the experience of fishing for striped bass regardless of whether they are able to retain fish. The current management program, which primarily uses bag limits and size limits to constrain recreational harvest, is not designed to control fishing effort which makes it difficult to control overall fishing mortality. While the acceptable proportion of recreational release mortality in total removals should reflect the management objectives for the fishery, efforts to reduce overall fishing mortality through harvest reductions may be of limited use unless recreational release mortality can be addressed."

http://www.asmfc.org/files/PublicInput/AtlStripedBassDraftAm7forPublicComment_UPDATEDFig4_Apr2022.pdf
Formerly CLAMFARMER

CF

Re: Striped Bass Comment Period
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2022, 06:49 AM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, APRIL 14, 2022

PRESS CONTACT, TINA BERGER, 703.842.0749

The deadline for submitting public comment on Draft Amendment 7 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Striped Bass is April 15th at midnight. If you haven’t already submitted comment, please to do by then. The Draft Amendment is available at http://www.asmfc.org/files/PublicInput/AtlStripedBassDraftAm7forPublicComment_UPDATEDFig4_Apr2022.pdf or via the Commission’s website at http://www.asmfc.org/about-us/public-input. Public comment will be accepted until 11:59 PM (EDT) on April 15 and should be sent to Emilie Franke, FMP Coordinator, at [email protected] (Subject line: Draft Amendment 7).
Formerly CLAMFARMER

CF

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2022, 06:52 AM »
"Draft Document for Public Comment 1.3.2 Recreational Fishery
The recreational fishery is comprised of private and for-hire components. The private component includes anglers fishing from shore (including all land-based structures) and private/rental boats. The for-hire component is composed of charter boats and headboats (also called party boats). Although charter boats tend to be smaller than headboats, the key distinction between the two types of operations is how the fee is typically determined. On a charter boat trip, the fee charged is for the entire vessel, regardless of how many passengers are carried, whereas the fee charged for a headboat trip is paid per individual angler.
The recreational sector operates in state waters across the entire management unit (Maine through North Carolina) and uses hook and line almost exclusively. The recreational fishery is managed via bag and size limits and therefore recreational catch and harvest vary from year to year with changes in angler effort and the size and availability of fish.
Recreational harvest of striped bass follows a similar trend to the commercial harvest. Since 1984 when recreational harvest was lowest (2.4 million pounds; 264,004 fish), recreational harvest has increased reaching a peak by weight in 2013 at 65 million pounds, and by numbers of fish in 2010 at 5.4 million fish (Tables 16-18). Between 2004 and 2014, recreational harvest remained at a steady level averaging 54.8 million pounds (4.6 million fish) per year. Following the implementation of the size and bag limit changes in the recreational fisheries in Addendum IV due to declining biomass, recreational harvest decreased to an average of 33.6 million pounds (2.8 million fish). In 2020, recreational harvest was estimated at 14.9 million pounds (1.7 million fish).
A large proportion of recreational harvest comes from Chesapeake Bay (Tables 16-18). From 2004-2014, 33% of recreational harvest in numbers of fish came from Chesapeake Bay. From 2015-2019, that percentage increased to 43% in numbers of fish, likely as a result of the strong 2011, 2014, and 2015 year classes moving through the fishery. The majority of recreational harvest in the ocean fishery comes from Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey.
The vast majority of recreational striped bass catch is released alive either due to angler preference or regulation; roughly 90% annually since 1990 (Figure 12). Based on peer reviewed literature, a 9% release mortality rate is used to estimate the number of fish that die as a consequence of being caught and released. Despite this low rate, the popularity of striped bass as a targeted recreational species means that recreational releases contribute a significant source of mortality to the stock each year. In 2020, recreational anglers caught and released an estimated 30.7 million fish, of which 2.76 million (9%) are assumed to have died; this represents 54% of total striped bass removals (commercial and recreational) in 2020 (Tables 12, 16)."
Formerly CLAMFARMER

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2022, 07:58 AM »
Based on peer reviewed literature, a 9% release mortality rate is used to estimate the number of fish that die as a consequence of being caught and released. Despite this low rate, the popularity of striped bass as a targeted recreational species means that recreational releases contribute a significant source of mortality to the stock each year. In 2020, recreational anglers caught and released an estimated 30.7 million fish, of which 2.76 million (9%) are assumed to have died; this represents 54% of total striped bass removals (commercial and recreational) in 2020 (Tables 12, 16)."

Would be great if we could get this closer to 1%.  Not sure how much circle hooks are helping but I've cut down on my use of treble-hook lures when striper fishing, which I believe has helped me release far more striped bass (mostly school and med-sized) with no mortal injury.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

woodchip1

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2022, 07:22 AM »
The only way is the way i have taken: No more stripper fishing. Thats what they are heading towards.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2022, 07:51 AM »
Would be great if we could get this closer to 1%.  Not sure how much circle hooks are helping but I've cut down on my use of treble-hook lures when striper fishing, which I believe has helped me release far more striped bass (mostly school and med-sized) with no mortal injury.
I'd be fine with switching to singles on Plugs/Topwater/Divers, but I really want to know if the release mortality is truly from hook wounds or terrible landing procedures? I've seen so many people drag fish up rocks/bang them into them, using vastly underpowered gear, and keeping them out of the water way too long. I'd be willing to wager that landing procedures are a higher indicator of release mortality than hook wounds (but both definitely play a part).

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2022, 11:01 AM »
I'd be fine with switching to singles on Plugs/Topwater/Divers, but I really want to know if the release mortality is truly from hook wounds or terrible landing procedures? I've seen so many people drag fish up rocks/bang them into them, using vastly underpowered gear, and keeping them out of the water way too long. I'd be willing to wager that landing procedures are a higher indicator of release mortality than hook wounds (but both definitely play a part).

Great points on all accounts, I just know from my personal experience that I've released way to many "floater" schoolies because of deep-hooking (or gills, eye) with trebles than I'm comfortable with.  I'd rather get fewer schoolie hookups with single hooks than risk putting back a floater. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Great points on all accounts, I just know from my personal experience that I've released way to many "floater" schoolies because of deep-hooking (or gills, eye) with trebles than I'm comfortable with.  I'd rather get fewer schoolie hookups with single hooks than risk putting back a floater.
Agreed, from using Trout Wisperer Tackle Co.'s single hook crank baits I've found that you don't lose much more with singles (at least for trout). Knock on wood, but I've never had a floater striper. Trebles or not. The only deep hook I've had was on 7/0 Circle with bait. Remains the only keeper striper I've culled. I mainly use A-rigs now and get even less body hooks than on dual trebles. Must be something with the way the rig can bend and the extra force needed for jig hooks to penetrate versus trebles.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2022, 05:53 AM »
Had years of involvement with lobbying against stuff like this.  They increase rec regulations but states like mass still support a multi million pound commercial fishery and thats outside of charters. 

I can assume no one here has seen 30 miles of dead bass released as bycatch from trawlers fishing for flounder...but ya recreational fishing is the issue. 

Wait for it.  The ASMFC would love to bam rec striper fishing so the commercial fishery remains, because theu get lobbied heavily by that group.  Go to a meeting and see....

Meanwhile clueless rec guys think they are the issue.  Its quite the bs situation.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2022, 05:54 AM »
The only way is the way i have taken: No more striper fishing. Thats what they are heading towards.

Yup.  All so commercials can kill more bass.  Also I have been checked on southwest ledge for circles, said I was fishing for bluefish/shark with 9/0 octopus and was quickly left alone. 

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2022, 06:09 AM »
Meanwhile clueless rec guys think they are the issue.  Its quite the bs situation.

To be clear, I'd like to see all commercial fishing for striped bass ended.  I certainly believe the commercial impact is greater than is rec, including discarded bycatch (wanton waste) as you mention.  I'm just saying that personally, I'd rather release a striped bass with no gill damage (or other mortal injury) if I can and reducing use of treble hooks seems to help that way, based on MY personal experience.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2022, 08:57 PM »
To be clear, I'd like to see all commercial fishing for striped bass ended.  I certainly believe the commercial impact is greater than is rec, including discarded bycatch (wanton waste) as you mention.  I'm just saying that personally, I'd rather release a striped bass with no gill damage (or other mortal injury) if I can and reducing use of treble hooks seems to help that way, based on MY personal experience.

I don't disagree with any of your points and wasn't suggesting at all ypu are one of the clueless ones.  I just wanted to shed some perspective as I've been on both sides of the table.  Heck any rec that wants more bass can pay the money (less than 200) to buy a commercial license in mass to harvest rod and reel and keep a considerable amount.  The system is slanted towards money and that never bodes well for nature. For example I saw quite a few charter boats pulling wire in broad daylight in the eez amd harvesting bass caught there.  That's a big issue.  On the flip side there are guys catching cows on the ledge on light tackle and release floaters.  Hooks are the least of the issues.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.