FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First Trout of Spring  (Read 924 times)

bogtrotter

First Trout of Spring
« on: Apr 18, 2022, 08:59 PM »
I hit the South Hoosic today from 10:30 AM to a little after noon.

It was mostly sunny, and cool (started out 52 degrees and ended when it was 58).

I  fished from Cheshire Harbor to a little past Elm Rock.

No action until I reached Elm Rock, where a good sized rainbow followed my line in, but spooked when it saw me, and didn't come back.

In the great tradition of "trying one last spot," I headed downstream and cast into the run below the small waterfall - - where I felt a solid strike when my line reached the end of its swing - - and reeled in a 16" rainbow.

That's the first trout I've caught in a river (as opposed to a brookie in a brook) this season.

westernmas

Re: First Trout of Spring
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2022, 10:36 AM »
Way to get out Jim.  16" rainbow is good sized.  I imagine it put up a decent fight.  Good one to knock the skunk off.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2022, 11:42 AM »
Early season is always feast or famine.  I feel like late April early May things pick up a lot.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Early season is always feast or famine.  I feel like late April early May things pick up a lot.

Need the hendricksons to get popping.  I'm sure Jim's piece of work is a decent imitation of some of the juvenile stages.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

oatkasut

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2022, 04:26 PM »
I find when the water temperature reaches 46 deg. things pick up rather quickly!  Good luck.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Hendricksons and then caddis are my favorites.  Then in the fall once we are in trico season I start to struggle again aside from mousing and streamers.

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2022, 09:06 AM »
Was lazy yesterday and didn't want to deal with waders so took the ultra light out.  I was able to pick up another solid rainbow in the WB that jumped a foot out of the water about 5 times before he would come to the net.  Things are slowly picking up.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.