FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: North, South, East, West . . .  (Read 839 times)

bogtrotter

North, South, East, West . . .
« on: Apr 24, 2022, 08:03 PM »
Home waters are the ones I love the best.

I travelled to Montague to fish the Sawmill River today.

(For some reason, my GPS sent me over Route 2 to get there, but then took me over Route 116 on the way back.  Go figure).

I fished the Sawmill from 12:30 PM to about 2:15 PM. 

It was mostly cloudy, and about 60 degrees.

I waded from the South Street bridge to the next one, and didn't see a single fish.   

Doubling back, I fished a small back water not far from where I started, and reeled in two small (6" and 7") brookies.

Then I drove to the Book Mill and tried there, but nothing doing.

Heading home, I arrived in Adams around 3:30 PM, and fished the South Hoosic for about an hour, starting at the Old Stone Mill and heading downstream.

By then, the weather had cleared, and it was sunny and around 65 degrees.

Although I didn't have any action for most of the stretch that I waded, there were three trout clustered below a small roll dam below Elm Rock but above ALADCO.

I landed a 12" rainbow and lost a larger one beneath the right hand "corner" of the dam, and then caught a 14" one closer to the center.

I kept going all the way to ALADCO, but there was nothing doing, so I turned back and drove home for dinner.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: North, South, East, West . . .
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2022, 10:26 PM »
At least you had some action. Good day

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2022, 01:21 AM »
That last bit of water always coughs up fish for you.  I like that stretch.  Have you fished the rock wall we did well at last year?  It's almost time for my annual trip up.

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2022, 07:20 AM »
That last bit of water always coughs up fish for you.  I like that stretch.  Have you fished the rock wall we did well at last year?  It's almost time for my annual trip up.

I've fished the rock wall (Elm Rock) on the South Hoosic a few times in the past few weeks, but it has not been producing for me lately, although I did see/spook a good-sized rainbow there a week or so ago.

I haven't had occasion to fish the rock wall (Old Glory Rock) on the North Hoosic yet, but am planning to this weekend.

Yes, it's almost time.  I'd say just give it another couple weeks and I'll shoot you a PM.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2022, 11:30 AM »
Sounds good Jim.  Looking forward to a nice warm day of stream hopping.  Want to plan for a full day since my fishing schedule is so irregular with 2 kids. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.