FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Little Better Today  (Read 1450 times)

bogtrotter

A Little Better Today
« on: May 01, 2022, 03:44 PM »
I had intended to drive down to Chicopee to try my luck with the shad run today, but i've been having some automotive difficulties lately, and since discretion is the better part of valor, I concluded I would be better off staying close to home.

So instead, I confined my efforts to North Adams, fishing there from about 11:30 AM to around 3:00 PM.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day - - sunny, blue skies, 70 degrees and very little wind.

First up was Fish Pond, where I fished with my younger son for a couple hours. 

My son introduced me to fishing "the back end" of the Pond, and fishing with an oversized sinker and Power Bait.

I was unable to master the technique, but he has clearly mastered it, landing two nice rainbows.

I did do a bit better with my standard approach (a night crawler segment and a small split shot) - - netting four sunfish and three perch - - before heading to my next destination.

I returned to the Natural Marble Bridge State Park to try my luck on the North Branch again, despite getting skunked there yesterday.

This time around, I was able to reel in two good-sized (14" and 15") rainbows just below the bridge at the entrance to the Park.

As a bonus, I also caught a 9" brookie on Hudson Brook in the Park itself.

It was a refreshing change since this is the first time since last October that I've caught anything either on the North Hoosic or Hudson Brook.

lowaccord66

Re: A Little Better Today
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 10:37 AM »
Great stuff Jim.  Next time we meet up I am going to introduce you to one of my favorite techniques/rigs.  The slide bobber.  A simple thread stopper on the line allows adjustment of how deep the bait sits below the float.  Great rig for fishing still water and also for those stocked trout allows the bait to drift around.  Plus who doesnt like seeing a float pulled under!

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Great stuff Jim.  Next time we meet up I am going to introduce you to one of my favorite techniques/rigs.  The slide bobber.  A simple thread stopper on the line allows adjustment of how deep the bait sits below the float.  Great rig for fishing still water and also for those stocked trout allows the bait to drift around.  Plus who doesnt like seeing a float pulled under!

I'm looking forward to it.  I figure another couple weeks and the local waters will be good to go.

I see from another post that there's a Free Fishing Day in CT this Saturday.  Unfortunately, car troubles have sidelined me from taking advantage of it, although I do hope to "seize the day" when the next one rolls around in June.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 04:13 PM »
June we will have to plan for it for sure.

scooper47

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 06:39 AM »
I'm looking forward to it.  I figure another couple weeks and the local waters will be good to go.

I see from another post that there's a Free Fishing Day in CT this Saturday.  Unfortunately, car troubles have sidelined me from taking advantage of it, although I do hope to "seize the day" when the next one rolls around in June.

Just remember the the two later days for free fishing in CT require a license. It's free, but you have to have it. No license needed for Saturday.

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Just remember the the two later days for free fishing in CT require a license. It's free, but you have to have it. No license needed for Saturday.

Thanks for the reminder, Scooper.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 09:26 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, Scooper.

The irony is much like Mass you arent likely to be checked or even see an EPO.

bogtrotter

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 04:07 PM »
The irony is much like Mass you arent likely to be checked or even see an EPO.

Yeah, but there's always the "just my luck" factor to contend with (i.e., running into an EPO may be like getting struck by lightning, but with my luck it will happen, on the one day that I forget to bring my license with me).

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 06:19 PM »
Yeah, but there's always the "just my luck" factor to contend with (i.e., running into an EPO may be like getting struck by lightning, but with my luck it will happen, on the one day that I forget to bring my license with me).

Don't drive with an expired license.  I almost had a really bad day coming back from the Farmington section of MA about a month ago.  Guess they can pull you over for no other infractions if they decide to run your plate and see the owner's license is expired.  It's also a criminal offense and the vehicle is supposed to be towed.  I was a few miles from my house and the officer was nice enough to let me call for a ride.  Added insult to injury after a nice skunking.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 07:22 AM »
That they can Pat.  Most have scanners on their cars that do it automatically.

westernmas

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 09:52 AM »
That they can Pat.  Most have scanners on their cars that do it automatically.

Granville cops just have nothing better to do than harass people.  I've been pulled over by them 3 times in the last year plus.  They realized I haven't had a moving violation in 10+ years and let me on my way.  I'll be taking 23 to the farmy from now on.  Drove by a state cop on the same drive and he didn't even move.  2 miles later the granville cop is on my tail.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 06:54 PM »
Ya Ive had them follow me too.  They are sneaky on 57.  You could also shoot down 10 towards salmon brook.  The intersection to turn left to Bradley, turn right then immediate left to head towards barkhamsted res.  Follow that all the way and eventually you end up at church pool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.