FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A bit of a head scratcher... cost of car vs boat registration...  (Read 1655 times)

LundProv

Not really a fishing report but the back yard lake is giving up everything with fins...   Tonight, I went on line with the BMV to do the annual registration renewals of boats and cars.  Now, I realize I should not whine and I am indeed grateful for our vehicles and boat but the numbers made me stop and think.  My wife drives a Honda CRV and it is a 2016 with 35000 miles.  It cannot be registered just yet as the website informed me it needs emissions testing.  The registration for the Honda is $132.00.  In my list of renewals, my 2018 1775 Lund Impact Sport comes in at $150 to re-register.  So, $132 to drive the car for the next year on a daily basis and $150 to register the boat that is seasonal at best and certainly not used daily.  Again, not certain what to think of this other than doing them both tonight online made me think a bit. 

Teacherpreacher

Lund Pro,
? Doesn't compute? What state are you in??
Here is my Indiana  annual registration for 2022: 1973 - 16' 1973 Starcraft fishing boat/30 HP 2016 E tech-$30.00.
                                                                        1997 - 14' Grumman Jon Boat (Duck Boat) - $25.00.
                                                                         1999 - Boat Trailer 14' -  $24.35.
                                                                          2018 -Boat Trailer  16' - $24.35.
                                                                           2014 -GMC Sierra - 2014 101,000 Registration $95.35.
                                                                            Total = $210.05.
Just as an aside, I drove to Greenwood, IN just south of Indy yesterday on I-65 to visit my sister who is in an assisted living facility. Truck,trucks, trucks!!! And no cars! I was shocked! No cars until got to Indy. I was counting and was about 10 trucks to one car!!! Between the on going construction, about 8 areas, and the trucks passing each other at 1 mile an hour faster then the truck being past, it was not an easy drive. Took 3 1/2 hrs going down but better coming home, 2 1/2 hrs. 165 miles one way. Used 3/4 tank of gas at $4.89/gal. =$95.00! Average 21 mpg which is not bad at 80 mph
when I could.
Not fishing info but interesting life we are living when a couple years ago we had $1.92/gal.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

The thing that irks me in Indiana is you can keep your boat, trailer, in the garage or sitting in the yard for years and as soon as you start using it the state charges you for the years you did't use them. I think that is wrong, wrong, wrong!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meandcuznalfy

The thing that irks me in Indiana is you can keep your boat, trailer, in the garage or sitting in the yard for years and as soon as you start using it the state charges you for the years you did't use them. I think that is wrong, wrong, wrong!

That is wrong, just price gouging, shouldn't be charged for not using it.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
I just bought a new boat this year and when I went to register it they taxed me on the accessories I added :/

meandcuznalfy

I just bought a new boat this year and when I went to register it they taxed me on the accessories I added :/

Really, what accessories did you add

taxid

What state are you in?

I'll never forget living in a small town in my first home when I got married. Town accessor came over and assessed my air compressor and fleshing machine to tax in my small taxidermy business. Since I've moved I've never had to deal with anything remotely like that.

That's what I got for being honest by going through the hoops to put a business sign up. A taxidermist friend in another town told them to go to hell, and they backed off. I think he scared them. LOL
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hexagenia51

Seems like when I was younger there was a common phrase “Indiana Land of Taxes “. I’m guessing that will never change! Oh and good ol’Indiana has refused to drop the gas tax to help people out during Putin’s gas price  disaster, it’s supposed to go up twenty two cents in a couple weeks I believe Hex

taxid

Seems like when I was younger there was a common phrase “Indiana Land of Taxes “. I’m guessing that will never change! Oh and good ol’Indiana has refused to drop the gas tax to help people out during Putin’s gas price  disaster, it’s supposed to go up twenty two cents in a couple weeks I believe Hex

But but we are supposed to be a conservative state Hex!  :rotflol:

We also have one of the highest sales taxes in the country.

wallin

Yea I pay that $150 just for the boat, plus trailer is additional. Plus Truck plus wife's 2022 Jeep. Seems it never goes down.
Now housing is way up so your housing tax estimate has gone up and your paying that too.
Wallin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.