FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: May........Warmer Weather, Variety, and a Road Trip  (Read 2922 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
May........Warmer Weather, Variety, and a Road Trip
« on: Jun 01, 2022, 03:45 PM »
May can definitely be a month of quick changes as Spring advances and water temps climb.

The shoreline brown trout wading in lakes fell off the table after April, but I was still able to get into some local trout and salmon early in May casting in a few spots.  One trip featured splake that were sizable.  At least one of them didn't get the memo about bright colors being reserved for Fall ;D

The splake were joined by a few bonus fish.  I always enjoy catching surprise fish that I'm not targeting.  These suckers pulled the bobber down slowly after grabbing a jig, but fought hard and at around 24" with solid girth, old bugle lips had me thinking that I was into trophy trout at first.

A few salmon hung tight to shore early on before pulling a not unexpected disappearing act.  The few I came up with fell for my typical go to jigs

By mid-month, the near shore bite had switched over to warm water fish. Bigger bass can keep me amused for a few days on fly or light spinning gear.

I also ran into a decent push of white perch on their spawning run.  These weren't the biggest, but it was still nice to see them.  Crappie have seemed to push them aside in many waters.  Also, let's face it, getting multi dozens of fish on flyrod after a long Winter in far from a bad thing  8)

Care for an aging parent called my wife and I out of town later in the month.  It's amazing how the years go by.  I did find some time to wet a line on a few small Lake Ontario tribs and inland streams.  This is dairy country.  Most of the flowing waters are full of wild or native trout or juvenile salmon.  The water quality shows me that the farmers are being good stewards of the environment.  IMHO, much better than what I've seen of timber and mineral extraction industries here in Maine.  On the other hand, my attempts at changing things indicate that our government is onboard with it :'(  Anyway, off the soap box and back to the NY road trip.  In summary, a nice variety of beautiful small water, with fish that aren't big,  but take dries at virtually every spot where a fish should be holding.  Mainly rainbows, with a few native brookies and juvenile coho salmon.

They are dealing with the problem of the invasive Japanese Knotweed out there and its negative impact on native plants, etc.

A number of the waters I fished in NY have seasonal migrations of large (very) trout and salmon from Lake Ontario.  My streamside cleanup included this gem.  The regs require that that the gap between the hook shaft and point not exceed 1/2 inch (as a measure against illegal fish snagging).  This invention had a solid 3/4 inch in this dimension >:(

I closed out the month with some fast dry fly fishing back in Maine.  With a dry and dropper, the fish showed a strong preference for for grabbing a Partridge & Brown or something similar trailing off an EHC or Para Adams.  The waters I fish are heavily stained with tannic acid and I'm real partial to the dark chocolate color the browns take on.  A few brookies (both stocked and native) were also in the mix.

On to June, a month for weddings, baby showers, and other great (but mostly non-fishing) festivities.  Roll out the "fish smarter, not harder" mantra :laugh:

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: May........Warmer Weather, Variety, and a Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2022, 04:48 PM »
Love those splake! Great report Jim

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2022, 07:19 PM »
Thanks, Nick.  The only splake I caught this Spring and they weren't fresh stockies, that's for sure.

Love those splake! Great report Jim

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2022, 05:51 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  The only splake I caught this Spring and they weren't fresh stockies, that's for sure.
No they look sizable. How long?

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Great photos and report as always Jim!

Since the first week of the month I've switched mainly to Stripers (the benefits of living in the Greater Portland Metro), with the occasional smallmouth afternoon session mixed in. Went up the coast a ways to a secret spot for Mem Day weekend and pulled a few fat and sassy bronze girls in. While I caught a couple nice ones on the A Rig and on tubes (biggest was a 4 on the A Rig), my better half completely schooled me and landed a 5 (as well a 4 and multiple high 3s) on a ned rig.

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2022, 09:43 AM »
In the 18"-19" range.  Lots of fun when they show up.

No they look sizable. How long?

Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2022, 09:48 AM »
I used to striper fish a lot up this way in the Spring and Fall.  The fishing seems to have fallen off for them and there are better options now.  Congrats on the smallies.  It always good to let your better half win once in awhile to keep her interested ;D

Great photos and report as always Jim!

Since the first week of the month I've switched mainly to Stripers (the benefits of living in the Greater Portland Metro), with the occasional smallmouth afternoon session mixed in. Went up the coast a ways to a secret spot for Mem Day weekend and pulled a few fat and sassy bronze girls in. While I caught a couple nice ones on the A Rig and on tubes (biggest was a 4 on the A Rig), my better half completely schooled me and landed a 5 (as well a 4 and multiple high 3s) on a ned rig.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2022, 08:16 AM »
Nicely done Jim!

joefishmore

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2022, 12:05 PM »
Pleasure to see those pictures.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2022, 01:49 PM »
Your report did not disappoint Jim, love it! especially the bright red bellied male splake and that salmon, super nice fish.  That sucker is HUGE i can see by how far it's tail is sticking up in the net - almost at the rim.  reminds me of (the size of ) some salmon i've caught.  wow!

Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2022, 02:54 PM »
Thanks, Randall.  The big sucker ran 24".  A solid tug 8)

Your report did not disappoint Jim, love it! especially the bright red bellied male splake and that salmon, super nice fish.  That sucker is HUGE i can see by how far it's tail is sticking up in the net - almost at the rim.  reminds me of (the size of ) some salmon i've caught.  wow!

fish wayniac

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2022, 03:15 PM »
Jim, Great report and pictures. I enjoy the end of the month for your post’s. Nice hook jaw salmon, Chunky small mouth and big sucker. I used to get some big suckers in VT on the winooski river as a kid. I was going for trout but would get them and they would  give me quite a battle . I’m sure you will find time to wet a line in between family outings . 🎣

woodchip1

« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2022, 05:59 AM »
Thanks!! wish everyone could enjoy life like you. Nice photos!!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2022, 10:27 AM »
What a great read.  Thanks as always Jim.

woodchip1

« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2022, 05:17 PM »
Japaness Knot weed.. Ive read where tea made from the root of Knot weed can be a complete remedy for LYME Diesese . Wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.