FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout and Salmon caught in Sebago and Rangely- Chesuncook  (Read 1895 times)

woodchip1

People are reporting while gutting their catches and not finding smelts or other bait fish  in stomachs, just insects in all three waters???

zwiggles

Re: Trout and Salmon caught in Sebago and Rangely- Chesuncook
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2022, 05:44 PM »
Isn’t it that time of year? I can’t speak much for ME, but in NH once they are off the smelt, they go for those stupid bugs and it makes for slow trolling days.

JDK

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Isn’t it that time of year? I can’t speak much for ME, but in NH once they are off the smelt, they go for those stupid bugs and it makes for slow trolling days.

An olive or black beadhead wooly bugger trolled behind an 000 dodger will often catch salmon and trout when they are keyed in on insects (if you are trolling).  I should mention that you can often troll them a little higher in the water column.

But the pH needs to be correct.
# SAND

Darby

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2022, 06:05 PM »
Heard the same thing on Mooselook earlier this week.  Headed brook fishing in the Allagash this weekend.  A week earlier than normal

woodchip1

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2022, 12:09 PM »
JDK What should P H be now. what would be  if it was at its best?

JDK

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2022, 07:05 AM »
The current pH of Chesuncook is 7.1 (neutral for all intents and purposes).  DO throughout the water column has also remained fairly constant since 1978.

So, my comment remains, when salmon or trout  are keying in on insects, a bead headed wooly bugger in olive or black behind a 000 dodger will often put those finicky fish in the boat.

# SAND

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2022, 09:43 AM »
Saturday, I picked a salmon up in the Penobscot throwing crankbaits for smallies, so at least there they are still keyed in on baitfish. Didn't keep em so I have no clue what the stomach contents were though

fish wayniac

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2022, 02:35 PM »
The current pH of Chesuncook is 7.1 (neutral for all intents and purposes).  DO throughout the water column has also remained fairly constant since 1978.

So, my comment remains, when salmon or trout  are keying in on insects, a bead headed wooly bugger in olive or black behind a 000 dodger will often put those finicky fish in the boat.

I will give this a try when the salmon and trout are tight lipped when trolling spoons. I was the one that found only bugs in the 4 small salmons stomach from Moosookmeguntic. Thanks !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.