FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: VT Free Fishing this Weekend  (Read 896 times)

bogtrotter

VT Free Fishing this Weekend
« on: Jun 07, 2022, 10:31 AM »
Saturday, June 11th is VT Free Fishing Day - - i.e., you can fish without a license.

bogtrotter

Re: VT Free Fishing this Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Today, my buddies Brian and Ted and I drove up to VT to fish the Hoosic in Pownal and the Walloomsac in Bennington.

We fished from about 8:30 AM to around 4 PM.

The weather was perfect - - sunny, blue skies, with temps peaking around 75 degrees.

We started on the Hoosic by the bridge near Church Street in Pownal and then tried another spot further downstream.

Fish were rising left, right and center, but for the longest time none of us could get the fish to bite.

Eventually, though, Brian and Ted connected on their fly rods.

Brian landed three browns (all about 12") and one 14" rainbow (the first one on a wooly bugger and the other three a dry fly), while Ted netted five browns (again all about 12") on a pheasant tail.

I was fishing with nightcrawlers on a spinning rod - - and although I had five (fairly light) strikes over the course of the day - - I was unable to set the hook on any of them.

Brian and Ted were ready to call it a day around 2:30 PM, but indulged my desire to try the Walloomsac further up the road in Bennington, which I fished for about an hour, but this time didn't have so much as a strike.

We called it a day around 4 PM and headed to the Farm Road Brewery in Bennington, where I drowned my sorrows in a Regal Beagle (mild dark) beer and split an order of nachos.  We were all impressed with the beer and the grub there.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2022, 10:01 AM »
Nice trip Jim.  The fly rod can be deadly for sure.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2022, 10:56 AM »
Nice trip Jim.  The fly rod can be deadly for sure.

Prior to picking up a fly rod I always used to find it difficult to land numbers with worms once hatches started picking up and fish start looking upwards.  Now that I have one I still struggle to land numbers once they are feeding on top lol
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2022, 09:27 AM »
Prior to picking up a fly rod I always used to find it difficult to land numbers with worms once hatches started picking up and fish start looking upwards.  Now that I have one I still struggle to land numbers once they are feeding on top lol

Yes that happens to me too, especially as we get towards trico season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.