FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Night bite SUCKS on the full moon?  (Read 1075 times)

Hookset

Night bite SUCKS on the full moon?
« on: Jun 15, 2022, 11:59 AM »
I live close to the Hudson and have more opportunities than many folks out there to get to the shore and catfish after work. I've been night fishing for a few decades, and for some reason, against all the empirical data and all the narratives, the bite always SUCKS on the full moon! Last night was a full moon (awesome, by the way), solunar was a 96 and peak was about 9:30 pm- midnight, exactly when I was there. Zero cats. Bullhead pecked away all night, but nothing to note. I went Saturday night at the same time of night, solunar  was 54, moon was 87%.  I caught three cats that evening including 2 about a minute apart, all in the 8 lb range. I've caught cats during every outing this year, except....statistically the best day of the year so far.

Does the full moon bite suck for everyone, or do I live on an ancient burial ground and I'm cursed? It makes no sense. I guess that's why it's fishing and not catching, but jeez, 30 years of no cats on the full moon seems supremely against the odds.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

PikeKing23

Re: Night bite SUCKS on the full moon?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2022, 12:44 PM »
Fish the full moon during the day and the new moon at night

62 & Done

Re: Night bite SUCKS on the full moon?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2022, 09:53 AM »
I feel your frustration Hookset.  I have tried for decades to unravel the mystery around a good fish bite and all the factors that are supposed to dictate whether it will be a good day or not.  Moon fazes, cloudy vs clear, barometric pressure, water temp, calendar, recent weather swings, you name it. Some of the most proof positive factors have ended up with nothing more than a skunk on my stringer. And the opposite as well. This is not much to go on, but I have decided to go fishing when I feel like going fishing and let our finned friends take care of the rest. Some excellent catches have come along as a complete surprise.  Good luck and by the way , I have always wondered are the cats in the river considered decent table fare ?  I have caught a few while striper fishing have always let them go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.