FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing the Farmington  (Read 627 times)

bogtrotter

Fishing the Farmington
« on: Jun 19, 2022, 07:14 PM »
Today was Free Fishing Day in CT - - you needed a license to fish, but you could order it online for free - - so I drove down this morning and fished the Farmington most of the day.

Nearly ideal weather - - sunny, blue skies, pleasant temps (about 70) - - but a little on the "breezy" side.

On the drive down, I saw two turkeys, and shortly after I arrived I saw a great blue heron,

I fished in Burlington from about 10:45 AM to about 1 PM. 

There were a lot of fishermen out, but for whatever reason no one seemed to be doing much.

Next, I drove down to Unionville and did a bit better - - landing four small- mouth bass and one brown - - before heading home around 2:45 PM.

On the way home, I stopped at the evocatively named Satan's Kingdom in New Harttord..

It's a State park/recreation area that I've passed a few times, and always wondered what it looks like, but never stopped there till today.

Since Satan's Kingdon is primarily known for tubing, I just planned to buy a postcard or grab a brochure and keigep going - - but, once I arrived, the water didn't look bad, so I figured "As long as I'm here anyway . . ." and tried a few casts.

After a few minutes, I felt the characteristic tap of a fish on my line, so I focused my next few casts on the same run, and a minute or so later was gratified to reel in my big fish of the day - - a 14" brown trout.

Continuing my journey home, I got cleaned up and my family took me out to AJ's Pub for Father's Day.

For some reason, the place was really packed - - I've always thought of Father's Day as more of a "cook out" than a "dining out" kind of holiday, so I wasn't really expecting it to be that busy.

There was a bit of a wait - - but my meal (the stuffed pepper special a pint of Switchback ale) was worth it.

Finally, we all headed home for me to open my Father's Day presents - - including (to end on an angling note) a new Fenwick (Black Hawk) spinning reel and a box of trout magnets.

stripernut

Re: Fishing the Farmington
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2022, 09:58 PM »
Glad you had a great fathers day!

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2022, 09:33 AM »
2x sorry I couldnt join you!

Ryan51993

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2022, 11:25 AM »
Sounds like a great fathers day. Always a plus to find success in new waters where you can't utilize past experience. I'm a big Fenwick fan I bought one of the carbon fiber rods(probably not real carbon fiber but looks great) in med/light a couple years ago as my river rod for trout and smallies and it quickly became my favorite rod out of the 10 or so that I own. I'll bet you're going to love that reel.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2022, 02:10 PM »
Sounds like ya had your self a fine day.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.