FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Please don't tell anyone... (Perch, shhhh...)  (Read 846 times)

LundProv

Please don't tell anyone... (Perch, shhhh...)
« on: Jun 26, 2022, 08:08 AM »
Good morning...  Just a beautiful day yesterday...  A friend, who also happens to be a grandpa, asked me several months ago if he could bring his grandson (13) out fishing.  His grandson lives in Texas and he loves to fish with grandpa and was coming up hear in June.  They don't often catch much but just have fun.  When someone asks months in advance, you always oblige because you realize plans are plans and life is life.  So, yesterday actually happened and everything lined up just fine.  Pleasant temperature, slightly overcast in the morning with a chance of rain and the bass in the back yard wanted to play catch with a NED rig.  There is nothing more simple to throw than a NED rig for bass.  Grandpa, of course, brought a tackle box, in size, that bordered on sinking my 16' Lund and while his grandson and I were catching and releasing bass after bass, grandpa was searching through his arsenal to see what might work.  After about 30 minutes and several fish later, the grandson said very prophetically, hey gramps - why don't you just try one of these NED rigs?  So, I gave him a NED rig and I switched over to a jig/twister and we just had a blast.  By their admission, they caught and released more bass than they had ever caught before and actually compared "bass thumb" where the flat of your thumb gets a little rough from lipping the bass.  We caught no monsters -- maybe a 2.5 pounder but plenty of 1-2 pounders to keep everyone happy.  It was beautiful to hear the candor and the loving trash talk between those two and I would occasionally bring in a decent crappie and add a little fuel to the trash talk.  As we were snacking in the garage afterwords, gramps made sure he took photos of the packaging from the NED rigs my son was kind enough to buy me for Father's day a couple of years ago and gramps told me they were headed for lunch and for bass pro...  So, get out there and enjoy this beautiful creation He has made for us to play in... share it with others, when appropriate and never take it for granted...

Now the secret you need to keep, and you noticed I did not put the word PERCH in the subject matter is that beautiful limits of perch were caught yesterday in close, out of Portage.  I only know of Portage but they were probably caught elsewhere along our shoreline of lake Michigan.  My son sent me photos of the beautiful perch he caught with friends while I was hosting my friends in the back yard.  Now we know we should keep this a secret  -    ;) - as there are only so many perch to go around and they aren't making anymore of them.  So, don't tell anyone!  Also, we don't want our local bait stores to get to rich from minnow sales and then get fat and sassy and limit our access to minnows blaming it on a supply chain shortage or gosh forbid Putin...  Enjoy this day...

BBLoon

Re: Please don't tell anyone... (Perch, shhhh...)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Fun read as always!! Thanks.

Teacherpreacher

Re: Please don't tell anyone... (Perch, shhhh...)
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2022, 08:08 AM »
Ha, Ha! great report Lund!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.