FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hoosick Falls  (Read 925 times)

bogtrotter

Hoosick Falls
« on: Jun 26, 2022, 07:17 PM »
Today was a Free Fishing Day (no license  required) in New York, so two buddies (Brian and Ted) and I bundled into Brian's car and traveled to Hoosick Falls to fish the Main Branch of the Hoosic from about 9 AM to 2 PM.

The day was sunny and warm (ended up around 90 degrees by the time we finished), but the water levels were reasonably decent.

We tried three spots: a stretch along "the rocky beach," another near the St. Gobain plant and a third below the falls.

I drew first blood with a 12" rainbow by the rocky beach. 

Shortly thereafter, Brian landed a big (14") and then a small (7") rainbow (both on a wooly bugger) a little ways upstream from me.

We headed downstream, where Brian caught a 10" brown on a Thomas buoyant,

Finally, we headed to the falls, where I scrambled down the bank (which Brian and Ted chose to pass on) and fished for about a 1/4 mile downstream.

Along the way, I had one brief "double tap" but no solid strikes - - although I did reel in a half dozen crayfish (a new PB - - LOL) whih grabbed onto my bait and refused to let go.

Afterward, we headed to Brown's Brewery (on the Walloomsa) for well deserved refreshments (in my case a pint of Heffenweis wheat beer), then it was homeward bound.

lowaccord66

Re: Hoosick Falls
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2022, 07:28 AM »
Sounds like a great trip!

manitron

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Nice work Jim.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2022, 08:33 AM »
Good stuff Jim.  Out of curiosity are the falls the Hoosick with a "K" while the actual river is Hoosic without a "K"?
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2022, 08:53 PM »
Good stuff Jim.  Out of curiosity are the falls the Hoosick with a "K" while the actual river is Hoosic without a "K"?

My understanding is that:

(1) The river is onsistently referred to as the "Hoosic" in all three States through which it flows (i.e., MA, VT and NY).

(2) The mountain range and associated valley (only in MA) is referred to as "Hoosac" - - and one of the local high schools is "Hoosac Valley."

(3) The original name of the Town of Adams (in MA) was "East Hoosuck" (an archaic spelling) - - and you can still see it on the town flag - - although some old maps spell it as "Hoosuc" (without the "K") instead.

(4)The  name of the town in NY is "Hoosick Falls" (another archaic spelling) - - and I believe the same is true of the actual waterfall there.

Confused already?

Now on to the bonus round:

There are 3 branches of the Hoosic River: the North, South and Main - - each of which originally had its own name in Algonquin. 

The name of the Main Branch was the "Hoosic" (or variants thereof). 

The name of the South Branch was the Ashuwillticook - - which is now the name of the bike trail in MA that runs from Lanesboro to Adams.

The name of the North Branch was the Mayunsook - - which is now the name of a farm (and B&B) in Clarksburg, MA.

Sorry if this stuff comes across as pedantic, but I belong to the local historical society, and had to bone up on it years ago, but never really had a chance to "use" it - - so to get my "money's worth" I trot out the whole megillah whenever I can.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2022, 05:28 PM »
Not pedantic, interesting.

manitron

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Where the heck did I put my thesaurus?

Steve H.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2022, 07:23 AM »
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2022, 09:28 AM »
Very interesting Jim.  I'm glad I asked.  Thanks for the background.

LOL Manny!
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.