FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Visit from lowaccord  (Read 1338 times)

bogtrotter

Visit from lowaccord
« on: Jun 09, 2023, 04:29 PM »
lowaccord and I fished the South Branch (Cheshire/Adams) and the North Branch (North Adams) of the Hoosic between 7 AM and 3:30 PM today,

The weather was variable - - starting out cloudy and cool (50 degrees), then slowly clearing (around noon) and warming (close to 70 degrees), followed by a brief shower (about 2:30 PM) and cooling down (to about 60 degrees) again.

Stream levels were on the average to slightly below average side.

We (OK, mostly, Jon) hammered the South Hoosic,

I caught one small brookie and a few browns (biggest about 15"), while Jon landed one (16") rainbow, a few brookies and more browns than I could count (biggest about 17").

At two different spots, he kept pulling browns out of bathtub-sized runs, like a magician plucking rabbits out of a hat.

I still cannot figure out how that many fish managed to crowd into such a small space at not just one but two different locations.

After a brief break for lunch, we then drove to North Adams and fished the North Hoosic, where the numbers were not as impressive but the fishing was equally satisfying.

I started things out with a 17" rainbow just below the roll dam, and then we headed downstream toward the Eclipse Mill dam.

On the way, Jon reeled in an 18" behemoth of a rainbow.

By contrast, the fishing below the Eclipse Mill dam (where I'd done well the last couple times I'd fished there) proved anticlimactic, with no strikes whatsoever.

After climbing up the bank and back on the road,  lowaccord and I  trudged wearily to our vehicles and bid fond farewells before calling it a day.

lowaccord66

Re: Visit from lowaccord
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2023, 05:32 PM »
Was a great time Jim!  Caddis is a heck of a drug for those trout.  Enjoyable fishing, had to work for them.  Most of the trout took a caddis nymph, some took a march brown and a few on a sexy walts.  Caught some really small wild browns and brookies the size of my palm.  Loved seeing that.  I found it difficult to determine if some of the browns below were stocked or wild.  Either way I had a blast as usual!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Wow, epic! Great photos, beautiful fish.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2023, 09:47 AM »
I agree Geoff.
Beautiful fish.
I love stream trout fishing.
I have not done it in a few years.
Peaceful!!!!
Especially with a good friend.

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2023, 09:58 AM »
Good stuff gentleman.  I'm out in CO at the moment and the rivers are raging.  I'll have a post later in the week.  I got some nice natives in the CO streams that were fishable.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2023, 10:07 AM »
Wow, epic! Great photos, beautiful fish.

Glad you guys like em, Ive been slacking in the trout pic department because Im generally wading in larger rivers where I fear dropping my phone in.  These streams were perfect for c.p.r (catch, photo, release)

Would agree about it being better with a good friend.  Its quickly become a fun annual tradition to meet up and fish Jim's milk run together!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2023, 08:20 PM »
Well done gentlemen!

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2023, 06:06 AM »
A great day of fishing, thanks for sharing...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2023, 06:50 AM »

Really nice fish

iceman260

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2023, 06:55 AM »
Fishing, fun and friends doesn't get any better than that. Great pics.

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2023, 07:25 AM »
Best report of the season so far!  Good for you guys....love the pics and the report.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jethro

« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2023, 08:16 AM »
I agree Geoff.
Beautiful fish.
I love stream trout fishing.
I have not done it in a few years.
Peaceful!!!!
Especially with a good friend.

I'm just getting into it myself but still an absolute noob. I'm happy if I end up with a creek chub!

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2023, 03:34 PM »
I'm just getting into it myself but still an absolute noob. I'm happy if I end up with a creek chub!

Open invite.  Come on down.

Jethro

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2023, 08:12 AM »
Open invite.  Come on down.

Nice, I will likely take you up on that. This weekend I'm headed to Pittsburg to fish with a guide so we will see how that goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.