FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Meat haul (updated)  (Read 3940 times)

Bartman44

Re: Meat haul (updated)
« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2023, 09:19 AM »
Nice fish fries right there, good eats.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2023, 12:23 PM »
Nice job Jon.Your making me drool. Great job

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2023, 03:25 PM »
Years ago I was night fishing over the side of the boat with a lantern on Lake Quacumquasit (South Pond) near Brookfield Mass for brown trout and started catching 13 to 14 inch crappies. I thought the heck with the brown trout I'll take these! My fish finder was going black with suspended baitfish which I suspect were alewives. At least that is what the locals said they were. I also marked some really long and big suspended fish in deep water not from the launch that I suspect were northern pike judging by the marks. I do know the lake produced one over 30 pounds. And a 3 lb. plus crappie.

Fishing for crappies at night with a light is so effective out my way maybe it should be illegal. LOL
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2023, 05:53 PM »
Ive been meaning to do the night crappie with the green light just havent had the time.

stripernut

« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2023, 06:23 AM »
Years ago (like 30) I fished on a night out on Pontoosuc Lake from a boat with a lantern hanging over the side and cleaned up with White Perch and a nice Brookie thrown in to keep it interesting... Been thinking I should give that a try again sometime soon...

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Jun 19, 2023, 07:52 AM »
Night fishing for trout in lakes and ponds can be very effective too for those that don't know. A lake near me used to produce 3 to 4 pound rainbows at night with my biggest at 7 lbs. (State record came out of there at 18 lbs. 8 oz.) Unfortunately the water quality has declined, and the lake doesn't have enough oxygen in the deep water to support them later than about August so they are no longer planted there. The lake now looks like a zoo with so many permanent houses around it, and it's like being in the middle of a carnival on summer weekends with so much boat traffic. Even though it still has large bluegills I avoid the lake in summer.

I stick to undeveloped lakes now of which there are a few.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

« Reply #21 on: Jun 19, 2023, 05:34 PM »
I know guys on Onota Lake who use the green light during the ice fishing season to night fish for smelt, and have really cleaned up doing so.

I've never tried it myself, though.

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2023, 06:27 AM »
I know guys on Onota Lake who use the green light during the ice fishing season to night fish for smelt, and have really cleaned up doing so.

Its been a while since ive done that.

westernmas

« Reply #23 on: Jun 20, 2023, 08:31 AM »

Can still be hit or miss.  I did it 2 years ago and we couldn't keep them off our hooks.  This year I managed to beat the skunk with less than a dozen.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #24 on: Jun 20, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Nice job!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2023, 02:28 AM »
Hell yeah dude!!!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2023, 08:22 AM »
Hell yeah dude!!!

Freshwater flatties.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #27 on: Jul 06, 2023, 08:57 AM »
Exactly lol
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Jul 08, 2023, 07:14 AM »
Out here they claim the crappies don't taste as good in the summer and the meat gets mushy. I think if they put them on ice right away, or kept them alive until cleaning they would be fine. If I intend to keep fish in the summer I immediately put them on ice.

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Jul 08, 2023, 03:42 PM »
First haul I let them live in the livewell.  This made cleaning them difficult when I got back.  Second trip I drained the livewells and iced em.  I dont bleed crappies, never had an issue. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.