FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Torrential Rain and flooding?  (Read 2070 times)

taxid

Torrential Rain and flooding?
« on: Jul 11, 2023, 04:05 AM »
I've been hearing western Mass, NH, and Vermont are getting torrential rain and serious flooding. Also part of NY. Any reports?

Just the opposite out here in the Midwest. We are getting rain but not enough. Some of the thunderstorms that head our way fizzle out by the time they get over us.

I guess Montpelier VT is under water?

And West Point NY got 10 inches of rain in a short period of time?

It was on and off rain when I was on vacation in Mass a few weeks ago too.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

scooper47

Re: Torrential Rain and flooding?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2023, 07:22 AM »
You can keep track of the levels in the Ox Bow here. It looks like Rte. 5 will be blocked.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=nhmm3&wfo=box

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2023, 05:50 AM »
We are getting training T storms today in northern Indiana. Much welcome though and not as heavy as New England. At least so far.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2023, 06:26 AM »
We have had some rain but most of the heavy stuff and gone around us. We did get on real heavy down pour that lasted just over an hour. The lake has come up about 6" but is still about a foot below normal for this time of year. Most of the heavy rains have been to the NE and the South of here.....h2l

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2023, 08:24 AM »
I guess most of our dams in NH really dodged a bullet the other day. Predictions were much worse than what happened, thank goodness. I went to look at the Contoocook River which is in my backyard and it was ripping like I've never seen it. Merrimack River is very high but doesn't look to be a major problem but more rain is on the way this weekend.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2023, 09:52 AM »
Scattered damage here in CT and NY.

Johnnh

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Hi Jethro,
Looks like Hillsboro took a beating. The Contoocook at he Bridge to Nowhere is raging and Hillsboro Ford is on a narrow peninsula. High Tide made it to channel 9 this morning = its flooded again.
Over here in Weare, we did ok except for lots of dirt roads being washed out.
Compared to Vermont, we fared well.

John

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2023, 01:17 PM »
Hi Jethro,
Looks like Hillsboro took a beating. The Contoocook at he Bridge to Nowhere is raging and Hillsboro Ford is on a narrow peninsula. High Tide made it to channel 9 this morning = its flooded again.
Over here in Weare, we did ok except for lots of dirt roads being washed out.
Compared to Vermont, we fared well.

John

Yeah, I saw that about the High Tide and Hillsborough Ford! Looks like the grounds got flooded but hopefully not the structures! I can't have the High Tide close, I haven't got my whole belly clam dinner from them yet this season!

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2023, 07:16 PM »
I just got back from a 6 day road trip with my wife through Pennsylvania.

(It's good to be back).

It was a lot of fun, but alas, no fishing.

On the way down, we got caught in torrential rains that required us to detour twice to avoid flooding.

But, after Sunday, there wasn't too much in the way of rain in PA while we were there.

From the TV news accounts we watched, it looked like the Montpelier (VT) area got slammed the worst up here in New England.

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2023, 07:49 PM »
I was in Montpelier 3 weeks ago with my wife for a weekend trip. Nice town, I feel bad for all the residents.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2023, 02:56 PM »
4" of rain my location last 24 hours I have had 10" of rain since July 1 :
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2023, 04:40 PM »
4" of rain my location last 24 hours I have had 10" of rain since July 1 :

Wow those streams in the Berkshires must be boiling!  :o Does the water in western Mass end up in the Connecticut?

bogtrotter

« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2023, 06:53 PM »
Wow those streams in the Berkshires must be boiling!  :o Does the water in western Mass end up in the Connecticut?

The Deerfield, the Westfield, the Millers and the Chicopee all flow into the Connecticut.

The Hoosic flows into the Hudson.

The Housatonic flows all the way into Atlantic.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2023, 09:33 PM »
The Deerfield, the Westfield, the Millers and the Chicopee all flow into the Connecticut.

Thanks!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2023, 02:47 PM »

There was a waste water spill of solid human waste material that worked its way into the Green, Deerfield and CT river system this past weekend.
It was directly related to the flooding rains they received in that area.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.