FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kenai River vacation  (Read 4842 times)

gamefisher

Kenai River vacation
« on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Hoping I can get some help from the locals!  Taking a family trip from Maine to the Kenai River in mid August and desperately looking for some help.  My wife has gotten a bunch of literature on cabins, guide service, fishing, etc. but looking to narrow the choices.  Way too many and wouldn't mind some of the "less touristy" areas if that makes sense.  Would love some suggestions and reccommendations from the locals.  From what I gather, that is the time of year to expect silvers and rainbows?  Not so much looking for a week long fishing / lodging package as we will have two young children with us.  Maybe some day guide suggestions along with places I can try on my own?  Best cabins to stay in on the river?  Anything else you think might be helpful is very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

akdg

Re: Kenai River vacation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Gamefisher-  Hopefully someone from up that way will chime in with some more detailed info for you, but this is what I can offer.  Make your reservations asap!  That neck of the woods (Anchorage/Keni Pen.)  is tourist central from late June to the end of Aug.  Chances are if you don't make reservations soon you will be sol.  Here is the state sport fish link http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/SF_home.cfm lots of good info on there for you as far as fishing goes. It's beautiful country up there with more to see and do than you could imagine, enjoy your your trip. ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Thanks for chimming in AkDg - I am quickly finding out as I do the research that it would be much easier if I was doing a straight fishing package.  I think it will be a challenge to fit everything in as a como. family vacation / fishing trip.  I'm sure it will all work out somehow and will still be a great trip no matter what!

JimP

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2006, 10:37 PM »
I haven't been there in a while, ( used to live in AK) but plan on it being pretty crowded. But that doesn't mean the fishing will be bad. Just fish off times, like very early and very late. There should be silvers, pinks, dollies (char) and rainbows in the river, possibly a few ripe kings too. I'm sure fishing right off shore will still be good. Don't forget a day out to Homer Spit too and maybe a halibut/rockfish charter out there! Head a little upriver from Soldotna, for a little less crowd. Here's me, a LONG time ago, fighting a big silver at Eagle Rock, on the Kenai!-Jim

Fishin Fireman

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2006, 02:29 PM »
We are still busy ice fishing up here but go to ice shanty and get on Alaska and direct the guys who are talking about the Kenai to the link here. Been down there a few times myself and it is always crowded from late May to early September. You may want to check out this site or do a search on Soldotna or Kenai, http://www.soldotnachamber.com/

Good luck

Brad
"Team Alaska" 

gamefisher

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2006, 01:07 PM »
Thank you F.F. - I didn't figure for a lot of Alaskan active for a while over here on MFF.  We've really found some helpful people that have been great to work with.  Although I wont get as much "fish time" as I'd like, I will get some and it will be a super trip for sure.  Thanks again.

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Gamefisher,
    Try this sitehttp://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/aklodging.htm,  dad,my father in-law and I did a 3 day fishing  a long with some site seeing a couple of years ago on the Kenia Pen. We were very happy with the accommodations, we stayed at the Crooked creek cabins, great people and a beautiful place. We had moose in the back yard, and the pond is full of trout. We also used  Bob and Corey for our fishing adventures. We did a one Day halibut trip where we limited out in lass than 4 hours along with some salmon thrown in also. We did a half day trip for Silvers and pinks on the lower Kenia where we caught and released over 50 fish between the 3 of us, all casting spinners. We also did a full day trip on the upper Kenia for trout, we caught about 25 Dollies and rainbows. I can't say enough good things about the accommodations and the guides that work for Bob and Corey. I am in no way affiliated with them but I will use them again when I return. Goos Luck, wish I could go back this year. I believe this year the pinks should return ,so you will have more fish than you know what to do with .
 Rich

hunters08

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Gamefisher,
    Try this sitehttp://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/aklodging.htm,  dad,my father in-law and I did a 3 day fishing  a long with some site seeing a couple of years ago on the Kenia Pen. We were very happy with the accommodations, we stayed at the Crooked creek cabins, great people and a beautiful place. We had moose in the back yard, and the pond is full of trout. We also used  Bob and Corey for our fishing adventures. We did a one Day halibut trip where we limited out in lass than 4 hours along with some salmon thrown in also. We did a half day trip for Silvers and pinks on the lower Kenia where we caught and released over 50 fish between the 3 of us, all casting spinners. We also did a full day trip on the upper Kenia for trout, we caught about 25 Dollies and rainbows. I can't say enough good things about the accommodations and the guides that work for Bob and Corey. I am in no way affiliated with them but I will use them again when I return. Goos Luck, wish I could go back this year. I believe this year the pinks should return ,so you will have more fish than you know what to do with .
 Rich how much did something like that cost????????
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

hunters08

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2006, 11:16 PM »
How much did a trip like that cost?????

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2006, 12:50 AM »
Hunter,
    We stayed in Alaska for 7 days and with airfare, rental car, lodging and guide fees it was less than 3000 a person, there was 3 of us. We did the Denali National park tour up to Kantishna for one day. If you get up that way it is a trip I would recommend to any one.
Rich

hunters08

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2006, 10:44 PM »
Thanks i really hope to get there someday!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.