FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jiggin for eyes  (Read 19842 times)

wavewatcher

• FISH ON!!!!! Menominee MI
jiggin for eyes
« on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:16 AM »
I have never jigged for eyes before.  im wondering what type of jiggs and what type of jigging action.
thanks ;D
If it moves and it shouldn't, use ducktape;  If it don't move and it should, use WD40!

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
Re: jiggin for eyes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2006, 02:25 PM »
Fuzz e grub jigs are by far my most consistent jig.  Day or night river or lake.
Tip it with the live bait of your choice.  Action would depend on the conditions.  Remember its very easy to work a jig too fast but impossible to work it too slow.  Let the fish tell you how they want it presented.  I find a slow steady retrieve with a minnow.  Leech or crawler use a lift drop.  but even that isn't always the best.   1/8 ounce is my go to weight.  But I will use lighter or heavier depending on the depth and conditions.

don't get the cheap imiitation fuzz e grubs because the hooks will straighten very easily.  I've learned that lesson a few times.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

Cargo

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Wavewatcher,
                        I believe the most important thing in jigging is your fishing rod. Buy the best you can afford there are allot of good ones out there. I have not looked but there should be a thread on jigging rods. I use several different brands. The one I seem to use most is a Berkley Series one. They are a good rod moderately priced $50 to $80 bucks.

Then make sure you make contact with the bottom at first just drag the jig. Jig it just enough to keep it from snagging on the bottom.

Walleyechaser is right a Fuzz-e-grub would be a good choice tipped with a minnow.

One more thing that I should add is a good fishing line. Try to fish something that does not have a whole lot of stretch. Fireline,spiderwire, power pro, flo. carbon, etc... the list goes on. There should also be a thread on fishing line.

I use some of these but the old Trilene XT will work there is nothing wrong with stretch. I have caught plenty of 5 to 10lb eyes on Trilene as long as you feel the bite Wham! Bam! set the hook " it does not cost you a dime to set the hook"

Wavewatcher/Walleyechaser, I grew up in Michigan. Cadillac/Manistee move to Utica, Graduated from UHS in 74. Sold my car for 150 bucks hitchhiked to Wyoming January 75. 

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:08 PM »
My wife went to Utica High.  She's a bit younger though.
Feeling the walleye's bite is key.  I usually keep the line in my fingertips.  When a walleye bites it it will be no more than a very subtle tick or the line will just go slack.  Very rarely have I had a walleye slam my jig.  I would never feel the bite if I didn't have my line in my fingertips.  Much like when you are trout fishing and hold the line between your thumb and forefinger. 

I use 8lb. Trilene XT for jigging and don't have any problems.  Only because I have so much faith in this line.  All other line I get seems to be garbage. 

I learned saturday to use a stinger if you are getting bit but can't catch.  We caught 9 eyes and only 1 would have been caught without the stinger.
care for a warm up?

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I plan on heading out of Monroe this weekend if the wind is right for Erie. Depending on the drift I'll use 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz (or even 3/4oz) jig head in either chartruse or Orange/Yellow or Orange/Chartruse. If the water is really dirty, I'll make my bait as big as possible, Twister tail, rubber worm, 2-3 minnows. If its clear I'll downsize a little, but I've never seen Erie clear this time of year. Fish two rods, one slow, one fast, and keep your bait "pounding" bottom. After you see what they want for the day, match up both your rods.

I'm a fan of the Sensi-thin 8-10lb. 6'6"  to 7' rod. IM-8 or better. You can feel them breath on it. When you do, set the hook.

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Walleyechaser, try downsizing to 4lb mono or 2/4 fireline and a 7 foot one piece fast action rod.  On this setup those little tics you feel will be a lot easier to pick up without having to keep one hand on your line (Just another option, not trying to tell you how to fish).
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2006, 11:30 AM »
I just don't know if I trust 4lb.  I don't even trust 6 it always seems to break on me.  I don't know if I'm just getting bad line or what. 

Thanks for the tip but I'll stick to keeping a finger on the line.  Had too many break offs to fish any lighter.
care for a warm up?

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:43 PM »
Bigred convinced me to try the Fire Line 2/4, you can't brake that stuff.  I landed a couple 15 plus pound carp with it this fall.  Great feel, the only problem is I have trouble with my knots breaking off.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

jdjyoung

• Get em while you can
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:26 AM »
 Try adding a few more twists to your knots and make sure the line gets moistened before pulling tight.
I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day of work anytime!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Bigred convinced me to try the Fire Line 2/4, you can't brake that stuff.  I landed a couple 15 plus pound carp with it this fall.  Great feel, the only problem is I have trouble with my knots breaking off.

Otis, try the Uni-knot.  I use 6 turns, and haven't had a problem.  Also, I use a 7'6" rod with a nice light tip to protect the line.  Don't forget to check your first few inches of line often, with the line as thin as it is, I like to retie every few fish. 

This year, I am going to run one rod with 6lb and one with 4lb, and see if I loose any casting distance - If i don't, I am going to go with the 6lb for those just in case scenarios ;)

That 4lb is definitely plenty strong.  When I tried it with an 8lb mono leader, the mono broke before the braid :o

OTIS

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2006, 02:50 PM »
Thanks, I'll give that knot a test run tonight!  Do you remove the split rings from your lures before you tie on the fireline?  I don't have a problem with the palmento knot on the eye's of jigs, but on those split rings on the cranks it breaks as soon as the knot hits it.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Thanks, I'll give that knot a test run tonight!  Do you remove the split rings from your lures before you tie on the fireline? 

no, but I do add a drop of superglue when tying to split rings to keep the line from slipping into the break.

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I also like the bouncing presentation!

slipbob

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2006, 02:03 PM »
  Do you remove the split rings from your lures before you tie on the fireline? 

With stickbaits I now ALWAYS remove the split ring on the lure and just tie directly to a snap.  Much more reliable action with the lure that way.  With the split rings if the gap hits the eye of the lure the action is lost and by taking the ring right off and just using a plain snap you don't ever have to worry about it. 

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2006, 02:30 PM »
With stickbaits I now ALWAYS remove the split ring on the lure and just tie directly to a snap.  Much more reliable action with the lure that way.  With the split rings if the gap hits the eye of the lure the action is lost and by taking the ring right off and just using a plain snap you don't ever have to worry about it. 

SB I've now taken the split rings off all my cranks and have noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of fish I catch.  I use a very small snap.
So much easier to change lures after dark.  I'd recommend this to anyone fishing any cranks.
care for a warm up?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.