FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line for baitcasters  (Read 1835 times)

Outdoorsmen

Line for baitcasters
« on: Mar 12, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Mono or braid??? and why???
EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE. FISH LIKE HELL, AND MAKE UP LIES

slipperybob

Re: Line for baitcasters
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2010, 09:00 PM »
I've got both...so it a preference for a personal preference of technique.

Mono for topwaters.  Braid for anything else I like.  Braid plus mono leader addresses most of my needs.

Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

jibbs

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2010, 09:50 PM »
mono for cranks, jerkbaits, topwater baits, spinnnerbaits, and i also use it on my  texas rigged baits (usually in rocky structure, but braid in the deep grass or pads).....8 for top and everything else between 10 and 12......usually suffix....i use braid for jigs, frogs, and senko's...20lb to 30lb power pro
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

wawaseebass

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2010, 04:10 PM »
P-Line for everything. never had a problem.

bassinbrian

• In search of Lunkers !
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Both ... really depends on what i'm using also where and what i am fishing for.
Most of mine have braid though. In some case i may also use a mono leader with the braid.

BB

Bring on the Stripers !!!

Outdoorsmen

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Thanks for the info. I think I will go with mono on my small one and braid on my larger one.

P-Line for everything. never had a problem.

Is it true that you have to be careful with the knot's with fluorocarbon. I herd that the knots pull apart easily?
EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE. FISH LIKE HELL, AND MAKE UP LIES

slipperybob

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:49 PM »
When you first use flourocarbon lines or even flourocarbon coated lines, you have to take more care in tying your knots.  Making sure you snug them tight with lubrication is the key.  Otherwise you will experience severe knot failure or knot slipping.

perchslayer716

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2010, 11:32 AM »
thick 50# braid works well. not as much backlash and you can pull your way through heavy weeds

snuffynra

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Outdoorsmen...just as slipperybob said floro has to be tied right.when i first started using it for trolling (leaders) i lost a few lures to breaks..then i went online and got some more info on it   http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html there is the most popular knots,not all of them can be used with floro,but dont let it scare you off,floro can make a difference in clear water applications. after some issues i took 20 ft and a lure ,fingernail clippers and sat down on the couch and practiced some of the more popular floro knots,in about 30 mins i had them holding tight,wetting the line before you pull tight is KEY,practice at home ,its much cheaper then on the water TRUST ME....my opinion is the palomer knot is one of the best for floro and braid. just my 2 cents.

slipperybob

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Knot Wars champions.  ;D
2008 Polamor Knot
2009 Fishing Fool Knot
2010 Berkley Braid knot

BaitWrangler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:01 AM »
I do not spool up with floro so I have no opinion on it.  Just scared to I guess as a result of my prior expierences. I have used it as a leader however - and I thought it was absolute crap because every knot I tied broke no matter what I did.

That is until I found out your supposed to use a polamar knot with floro. Now I haven't broken a knot since.  Good stuff.

No opinion on what to use but I figured I'd confirm what others were saying about the knots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.