FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623810 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4005 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:27 PM »
Further adventures in tying Gammerus with some Emu feathers I got the other day.

Sure look buggy.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icefisher47

« Reply #4006 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:05 AM »
Further adventures in tying Gammerus with some Emu feathers I got the other day.

Great job on those flies.

Sure look buggy.

Rg
Take a kid fishing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4007 on: Feb 26, 2021, 02:27 PM »
Thanks. I’ve been working on and off on some of the classic flies. Got out my wing burner and worked up some Burnt Wing Sulphurs.

Forgot how much fun the wing burners are. I’ve got about a dozen more. Have to look up some more patterns. Bet a bluegill would eat that.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #4008 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:40 PM »
First chance to review your recent work RG... I've been quite busy which is good I guess, makes the winter go by faster. My free time has been spent going on bird hunts for the family bird watching contest.

All excellent ties. I've used Zug Bugs pretty much my entire life, big believer in them.  Was my go-to fly on the Esopus Creek for many years.

Those scuds look alive. Cool stuff.   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4009 on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:37 AM »
The Zug Bugs took me a few to get the proportions looking decent.

Here’s a Wiggler pattern I’ve been playing with using Emu feathers for the legs.

Might work.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4010 on: Mar 05, 2021, 03:07 PM »
And a few detached body offerings.

Tried some larger burnt wings. They don’t sit quite right , but bass aren’t as fussy as I am most of the time.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4011 on: Mar 13, 2021, 11:52 AM »
Blue Gill Belly Bean.

Lots of stuff you can do with this one.

Rg

lowaccord66

« Reply #4012 on: Mar 15, 2021, 12:23 PM »
Hey guys who is using a rotary vice?  I want to get back into trying.  When I started tying when I was a kid I had a cheap starter vice.  Didn't rotate.  I was looking at options last night and was baffled at the number of choices. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4013 on: Mar 15, 2021, 01:50 PM »
I tie on a Dynaking Ultimate Indexer. I’ve had it for a number of years now and I love it. It’s pretty pricey but bombproof and adjustable in every way. Holds hooks as it should with a couple exceptions. Hooks in the #10 size can have varying gapes. Sometimes I have to switch to the midge jaws to hold them properly. It’ll hold anything from #22 to lord knows how big. I rarely tie over a #2.

The rotary function  is smooth as silk and the indexing option is great when tying flies you want to approach form different angles. I use the rotary quite a bit and being able to align the hook spine perfectly in plane with the center axis of the vise is a huge plus and super easy to do.

That said, you’re right. There’s a ton of rotary vises out there now. HMH has a Law vise knockoff that’s interesting. I’d have to tie on it a bit to consider switching. A lot of them are pretty overpriced for what they are.

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #4014 on: May 02, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Rog....just read an article on the panfishonthefly website about a cool looking surface fly & thought of you. The Panfish Devil Bug.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #4015 on: May 02, 2021, 08:55 AM »
I meant Rg, not Rog.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4016 on: May 02, 2021, 01:32 PM »
I tie those already. I like a foam under body and legs.

I think the leggy style has another name but I don’t recall it.

Good fly !

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #4017 on: May 02, 2021, 05:50 PM »
They look great. Your legs are much longer than I would tie, interesting.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4018 on: May 03, 2021, 01:45 PM »
I tie them both ways. The big gills and bass seem to like the long legs. Just have to adjust the hook type. Wider gape for long legs. Like any fly, there’s times times they work very well.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4019 on: Jun 05, 2021, 11:47 AM »
Pretty uncomfortable outside so I thought I’d tie up a few gurglers and harass the bass tomorrow morning.

Might dips to some of these too.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.