FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoking Whiskers  (Read 4579 times)

grumpymoe

Smoking Whiskers
« on: Aug 22, 2004, 12:46 PM »
well...everyone and GeRm seems to like a story....so here goes....planned the big day of catfishing on the Red...Big Walleye, Trophyhunter and i make for an early start..my buddy Derek....now known as Deek and captain of the Titanic 11 may show up...early rise at 2:15 am...Big Walleye picks me up at 3:30 and head out to pick up Trophyhunter...true to his word, he's waiting when we arrive...oh oh!! big expectations....he's bringing along his goldeye and sucker bait in a 3-4 gallon pail full!!!!we better hit some honeyholes!! over to Tim Horton's and beat the 1st police officers in the front door for coffee and timbits...and head down the road...just as more arrive!! ;D ;D Trophy said he smoked and hoped we didnt mind..i do too!!...sign of things to come...finally arrive at selkirk...time for nature break...TH heads for the closest trees, but quickly comes back out...followed by some guy...its my bud derek (capn titanic 11) who arrived before we did...decide to pair up with Deek as he;s now known...TH and BW get ready..all fired up, Deek gives me the look and says...lets beat em to the spot...the old Chyrsler 70 lights up...we're leaving them in our wake...1/2 mile down river...there's a sudden Clunk...and a dead motor...oh oh!! 3 trips in a row...the legend of the Titanic 11 grows....this is not good...we're at the mercy of the 2 younger guys. ;D ;D we graciously accept roadside assistance to our spot...anchor and start fishing...TH strikes first with a nice kitty...followed by grump with a 34"...its our turn, then theirs...off to a great start..Deek finally gets his first fish on and wages battle and just about brings her in for a look....wary of the anchor rope...then dead weight on the rod...kitty's gone and Deek has the tow rope to show for his battle...not a good sign...first and only fish for him.. BW is quickly falling behind TH and Grump..neck and neck at 6 each...we move around with more short tows..its mid-morning and TH is just about finished his first pack of smokes...BW quit a few years ago...but sitting downwind from TH takes up smoking again!! ;D ;D...every time we move TH cranks a kitty.....let me tell you, this guy is one heck of a young fisherman....nibble, nibble...he's playing the 1 string banjo....soft plucks on a tightline...encourages kitty to dig in...not a technique seen for a long time...he's been around a smart angler and learned well..another move and tow...TH hauls anchor and catches a drum....unbelievable luck...someone's broken pickerel rig snags the other hook...no pic...too much for me... 8) 8) the clouds start rolling in...bad sign...low pressure system and the fish turn off...time for TH to start another pack...depression starts to set in on the Titanic...Deek cant get a nibble..suggest goldeye...he say's.."goldeye, harry's eyes, anybodys eyes wont help me" ;D ;D the rain starts...Deek gets on his new rainsuit...the XL pants wont get up past his knees...he's on the cell complaining about his buy...offers them to me..might as well have him dry on top and me on the bottom half..(at the end of the day, i show him how to loosen the belt)...4-5 hrs in the afternoon produced little if anything...TH and BW hit a spot and its 3 beauties in a row for the chimney (TH)..until Poplar River comes roaring up river...its a huge barge that moves vehicles and freight up lake winnipeg..they wisely MOVE....after getting Deek's Titanic loaded up...we venture out for another 1hr or so of fishing....not another fish....pack up and head home...drop TH off...exposes his secret weapon...the booger is wearing a catfish teeshirt under his jacket....sorry for the blurred shot of this...all in all... a pretty decent day...final tally...(scuba...good betting man)....Trophyhunter...12 cats..2 lost...probably the biggest when BW missed the dip...sorry big guy..(he threatened to jump in if he missed another...(i kept my fingers crossed  ;D).....BW 6 cats....Grump 7 and Deek.....ah...we'll give him credit for 1.......here's some pics...                                         [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                [/img]                                                                                                                                one more thing..notice the sand coloured kitties???? these are channel cats that have spent most of the season in lake winnipeg feeding on shiners and goldeye in shallow waters....the pigmentation from more sunlight, shows these beauties in what i think is their most wonderful color and speckling spots.....i just love catching and capturing the moment...grump

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
Re: Smoking Whiskers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2004, 01:06 PM »
...every time we move TH cranks a kitty.....let me tell you, this guy is one heck of a young fisherman....nibble, nibble...he's playing the 1 string banjo....soft plucks on a tightline...encourages kitty to dig in...not a technique seen for a long time...he's been around a smart angler and learned well..

Awesome line Grump, and some super pics too.

-Scott

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Oh Grump!  Those are pretty fish.  ;)   Fat fish ta say the least.  Looks like you'll have to find one of those catfish t-shirts eh?   ;D  Keep up the pics!

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2004, 02:29 PM »
Gulp , drool ,drool .drool . :'(  Man why don't I have them right close to me here . :'(
  Awesome story Grump and the pics are the greatest . Great catch TH, BW, Grump and honourable mention goes to the the seat warmer DEEK . lol ;D
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Great story and pictures, Grump!  Hey, are nicotined and tarry fingers a new cat scent? ???

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2004, 04:37 PM »
It's a shame I wasn't able to joing you guys...oh well, I would probably just have been choking anyway.  Did anyone else notice how much the boat tipped when BW and a kitty are on the same side - note to self - if BW is ever in my Legend, remember to stay on opposite sides of the boat  ;)

Sounds like a fun day at the very least.  Mine wasn't nearly as good - fellow with lot at Rock Lake got called in to work, so I couldn't get out there.  Took the tent trailer down to Morden, had lunch, and spent a bit of time at the floodway gates with nothing to show but a self-releasing stonecat...sigh.  Today was a car show, so no fishing. 

Derek (not T11 capt. though)

Derek

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Awesome shots there Grump it was a fun day with lots of laughs and some quality fish!Even though the weather didn't co-operate.No hard feelings about the lost fish BW.I owe you 2 ;) ;D.You all are great guys to fish with and we will fish together again!Grump I'd say Germ has some competition in the writing dept. ;D

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2004, 08:15 PM »
sounds like you guys had a great time even with the Titanic II having motor trouble!!those are some nice cats grump thnks for the pics :D
Scotty 

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2004, 08:22 PM »
Well considering Grump did an excellent job posting pictures of our trip yesterday it is now my turn. It was a fun day and it was a great pleasure to meet another member of our board " trophy hunter." can this guy fish. I lost two of his beauties with Grump's minnow net ;) ;) ;D but I did manage to bring the rest of his catches in.
Here are the pictures.

Bigwalleye with his 36inch channel cat. we were off by an inch trophy

Proof of the 36incher. 8) 8)

Big walleye's trophy bullhead." Hey they all count"  ;) ;)

Big walleye with another beauty
Now here comes trophyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

[img width=600 ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/bigwalleye/0f48b47d.jpg/img]

[img width=600 ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/bigwalleye/scan0008.jpg[/img]

Trophy also caught this drum when he was pulling up the anchor rope. Show off. Hell he catches fish any way he wants. ;) ;) ;D
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

The Rocket

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2004, 11:33 PM »
Awesome Cat's Grump and BigWalleye!
You can either be the type of person that spends a saturday watching Dr. Phil, eating tofu in your bachelor appartment, or you can be the type that goes fishing.... Your call....The bass are biting...

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2004, 11:31 AM »
What else is in that river? Walleye? Pike? Musky? i've never been out that way but sure is some interesting fishing you guys are doing. Looks like you all had fun, thanks for sharing.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Reelmaster

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2004, 12:47 PM »
Looks like the fishing was great guys.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  That shirt of trophy`s must be wearing pretty thin by now because he wears it every time i see him.  Good job guys.  Hey trophy are you gonna have any pics without you smoking.   Should change your name to TH the chimney. Ha

We should enter in that sportsmans tourney if you arent working.  sept long weekend.  Caught 3 nice bullheads yesterday.  13.5" , 12.5 and 12
How knows that might be enough to win the bullhead class. they pay out for bullhead, walleye and pike.  not sure what the entry fee is.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2004, 01:11 PM »
well, judging by the posts on the local manitoba forum, we did fantastic!!!...reports of turned off bite...and one fellow with 1 channel cat all day long...think he even fished near us at one point....vancouvercanuck....summer fishing you can catch, sauger, walleye, drum, goldeye, mooneye, white bass, the very rare sturgeon once in awhile, carp, suckers, mariah, perch, northerns, and more....the big season for alot of people is coming soon...the much anticipated run of greenback walleye that move in from lake winnipeg...15lbers is not that uncommon some years!!! truly a sight to behold.....grump

Jigwiggler

« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2004, 08:17 AM »
Great story, great pics and by the looks of it a great time!!  Those are some beautiful cats guys!  Good job and keep them coming!!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Great pics grump, is fishing with those guys always an adventure  ;D?  The fun of fishing isn't always in catching fish!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.