MFF US Midwest > Indiana

Boys will be boys... great weekend...

(1/2) > >>

LundProv:
Midmorning today, the Boy Scout troop from LaPorte folded up the tents and packed the trailer to go home.  My wife and I are blessed to be on two acres, with a large subdivision lake behind us, here in Porter County and are blessed to have a local boy scout troop come and camp for the weekend.  We have been looking forward to this weekend as this is about the 10th year we have done this.  This troop is a boys only troop and I have nothing against young ladies but my boys became Eagle Scouts in a traditional troop several years ago.  Enough of that... I am happy to tell you that we had 13 scouts and 4 adult leaders.  These are genuinely good young people with great manners and the ability to carry and contribute to a conversation.  I divided the troop into two groups and took 2 adult leaders and a number of scouts out on the pontoon boat. Understanderably, these young men have different skill sets when it comes to fishing but they had an enormous amount of enthusiasm.   We headed out and I found a nice group of crappies on the livescope around a submerged tree I was familiar with.  These young men caught several nice crappies at that location.  This was primarily accomplished by the older scouts who were better at casting twister tails/jigs.  The second group I took out were more jiggers as I got them over about 8' of water and with a 1/16" oz jig, they were able to bounce the bottom with jig/crawler combination and jigged up some really nice 10" red ears and some nice size gills and perch.  One of the older scouts cleaned about 20 of the fish and showed the younger scouts how this was done.  We then fried the fish as an appetizer for dinner.  Each patrol cooked their own meals and cleaned up their messes.  We worked on merit badge requirements and documented the events of the camping outing for their scout books.  We prayed before each meal and had a very nice, brief worship service as we parted for the weekend.  We took a hike of about 3 miles with no complaining or whinning and the camp fire was great for active discussion.  Interacting with these young men with no electronics or foul talk but simply enjoying fellowship and God's creation was a breath of fresh air compared with what is going on in the rest of this world.  Having the back yard full of tents and the fire pit burning away was just beautiful... The only bummer was that every year, we get a porta potty.  A beautiful, blue, nice clean porta potty... When it arrives, before the scouts get here, I encourage my wife to go out back and give this clean, spacious porta potty a try... She never takes me up on it...  maybe next year...  invest some time with the youth of this country... you won't regret it... these kids are thirsty for male leadership and interaction...

Daybreak:
What a great thing to do! Thanks for sharing it with us.

BBLoon:
Nice job, Doc!! That must bring you and the wife much gratification.

Teacherpreacher:
Wonderful! I commend you! Great to hear some positive news!
Teach

Bartman44:
Great read, and cause. My wife doesn't like porta-potties either.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version