FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trip this summer  (Read 2380 times)

HoagieAB

Trip this summer
« on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Hello all.  I am looking to bring my family for a vacation into Montana this summer.  I will be pulling a 26ft trailer down from Calgary, AB.  I am looking to do some fishing while on vacation (stream and/or lake) and was looking for some suggestions on where to stay and where to fish? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Ryan

Whatpole

• Whatch you lookin' at dad???
Re: Trip this summer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:58 AM »
What part of the state are you planning on vacationing in? That will pretty much dictate what you will be fishing for.  ;)
Nuttier than a squirrel turd.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!

HoagieAB

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Pretty wide open to suggestions......I can cross through Alberta or BC.  I would guess the Northern half of the state, as I don't want to drive too far with a 3 and 6 yr old... :P

Thanks again

Lamnidae

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 01:20 PM »
There are some nice, family-friendly camping facilities in the NW part of the state at Noxon, Thompson, Kookanusa and Flathead Lake.  Lake Mary Ronan might be a good option too. 

whitetailtrax

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:09 PM »
You would also have lots of opportunities by taking I-15 south to Helena, where there are three major reservoirs on the Missouri River - Holter, Hauser, and Canyon Ferry.  All three have designated campgrounds for you to set up shop.  Each of these reservoirs has walleye and trout (rainbows and browns) along with perch and some lesser saught-after species.  The Missouri River downstream of Holter Reservoir is world class for trout...very crowded too on any given summer evening.  Lots of opportunites on Fort Peck in NE Montana too if you want to try that part of the world.  Have fun and good luck!

PerchHogSlayer

• Ice No More???
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:30 PM »
very crowded too on any given summer evening. 
Crowded is a relative term.  It's nothing like Alaska crowded! but you won't have the river to yourself either.  Fun to fish for sure though.  The trout fishing in Holter, Hauser, and Canyon Ferry is pretty darn great.  Walleye can be ok during certain times of the year, but not many of very good size.   Helena has plenty of good restraunts, both chain and local.

HoagieAB

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:41 AM »
First of all.....thank you very much for all the replies.  Nice to get that kind of info.  I will look into all the suggestions and offers and make a very (thanks to you guys) informed choice.

Thanks again

Ryan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.