FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ***DENIED***Perch Assault at Canyon Ferry ***DENIED***  (Read 2060 times)

PerchAssault

For two years in a row now, we have been denied a permit to hold an event in Region 4.  Last year Lake Frances, this year Canyon Ferry.

I worked closely with the biologist for Canyon Ferry in opening a dialogue about this event.  I adjusted some rules and asked them to please include me in any concerns they may have, so we could see if a compromise could be reached.  Instead, just like last year, it was a blanket denial.

The reasons this year included…
The lowest perch numbers they have seen in the netting surveys to date.  (Same reason they stated for Frances). Even though they have instituted a 15 fish limit, they haven’t seen the numbers come back.

I reminded the “manager” that we voluntary limited the bag limit to FIVE fish, 1/3 of the daily limit.

I also reminded him that we were encouraging live release of the fish after the weigh in, as well as releasing all smaller fish. His response was that while that was true, they were worried that many of the fish would be pulled from deeper water and the mortality would be too high.

I reminded him that we requested that we could put boundaries on the lake to avoid areas of concern, and that many anglers are experienced anglers and know how to play fish…that we could reduce this mortality, certainly more than during less regulated events..

Another concern was that the “management plan” for CF states “only one perch derby for the month of January”.  I stated that that had no bearing, that we requested a date in FEBRUARY.  The response was that… ‘While that was how it was written, the spirit of the plan was to limit it to one derby during the winter…’  So, we can’t really depend on a “management plan” to regulate, when it can be interpreted on its “spirit and intent”…by whoever wants to.

I specifically asked this manager that if all these lakes have such little perch numbers, and they are managing perch in most of these lakes to feed walleye and pike, then maybe it was time to institute a state wide perch limit…I got no real response.

Bottom line is this, unless we want to have a Perch Assault in some out of the way place, with no parking, no hotels, no restaurants etc. within 50-75 miles, I don’t think we will get a tournament approved by Helena, at least in this current environment.

I am extremely thankful for our fisheries manager here in Region 1 who has worked with me for 8 years now in allowing us to produce (arguably) the finest tournament series in Montana.  If you want to participate in a Perch Assault, you will still need to come west...

Mike Howe
Director, Perch Assault

robbi

Re: ***DENIED***Perch Assault at Canyon Ferry ***DENIED***
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Well doesn't that just SUCK! >:(

NONYA

Re: ***DENIED***Perch Assault at Canyon Ferry ***DENIED***
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Maybe they just dont want you down here?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.