FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ID, please  (Read 1660 times)

scooper47

ID, please
« on: Jun 01, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Does anyone know what this is? I assume the larva of some aquatic insect. I usually get a dozen or two on and in my minnow trap when I set it out. I bet a fly fisherman will know.

And while I'm at it, has anyone else had a hard time catching minnows this spring? I haven't gotten any.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
Re: ID, please
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Caddis
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Cased caddis.  There's a little green worm in there.  Trout candy.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

scooper47

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2020, 11:19 AM »
Can the trout get at it with that casing, or do they swallow it whole?

scooper47

« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2020, 11:29 AM »
Can the trout get at it with that casing, or do they swallow it whole?

Whole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caddisfly

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2020, 12:30 PM »
I know I'm a late comer to the party - - but I'll also chime in with my two cents - - I think it's a caddis too.

I usually find them stuck to submerged rocks in the streams I fish.  I think the bug assembles the casing from spit, dirt and plant material.

I recall that, when I was a youngster, someone recommended using caddis pupaes (or whatever stage they're in when they're in the casing) as bait, but I never thought it was too practical - - they were too soft and small to properly hook.

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Cased caddis.  There's a little green worm in there.  Trout CRACK*

There fixed it for you.... what I need is to figure out how to get some for ice fishing....

I’ve also “caught” quite a few of those on my nymphs fly fishing on a tiny little stream. I will fully admit to turning them into bait, and they seem to produce first cast every time.

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Trout LOVE Caddis... They use whatever is handy to make their "Case". When I was a kid a Jeweler friend put one in a tank with bits of gold and it made a case out of the gold... A Mop fly is a great trout fly that looks like a Caddis.

scooper47

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Trout LOVE Caddis... They use whatever is handy to make their "Case". When I was a kid a Jeweler friend put one in a tank with bits of gold and it made a case out of the gold... A Mop fly is a great trout fly that looks like a Caddis.

That Wikipedia article says that there is an artist who specializes in that gold trick.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Yup definitely a cased caddis.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.