FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mass Division of Fish & Wildlife captures 13 1/2 pound brown from Swift River  (Read 5213 times)

maxma

Must be some well trained fish that succeed avoid all bait & hid in the catch & release area for the entire life...

taxid

Must be some well trained fish that succeed avoid all bait & hid in the catch & release area for the entire life...

As you know brown trout are notorious for avoiding capture by anglers and long life spans. I learned something else about brown trout recently I didn't know from research done in Austrailia of all places: Female rainbow trout are notorious for getting egg bound and stressed and even dying in situations where they are planted and spawning substrata and conditions are not correct. I.e. lakes and ponds and muddy streams and rivers. They reabsorb their eggs which is really hard on them. OTOH brown trout females don't seem to have as much a problem with it. Researchers did not know why. This could be another reason why brown trout holdover better than other species of trout along with some large specimens becoming only nocturnal (which makes angling tougher), and they can handle marginal water quality better.

Looks like a female full of eggs to me...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

zwiggles

As you know brown trout are notorious for avoiding capture by anglers and long life spans. I learned something else about brown trout recently I didn't know from research done in Austrailia of all places: Female rainbow trout are notorious for getting egg bound and stressed and even dying in situations where they are planted and spawning substrata and conditions are not correct. I.e. lakes and ponds and muddy streams and rivers. They reabsorb their eggs which is really hard on them. OTOH brown trout females don't seem to have as much a problem with it. Researchers did not know why. This could be another reason why brown trout holdover better than other species of trout along with some large specimens becoming only nocturnal (which makes angling tougher), and they can handle marginal water quality better.

Looks like a female full of eggs to me...

That’s interesting about the eggs. Our big lake in NH had virtually zero spawning area. I have seen rainbows and landlocked salmon just busting at the seems with eggs before. I knew it was terrible for the salmon, but didn’t know how’s had the same issue.

It is curious that browns and LLS don’t have the same issue with reabsorbing the eggs as they are very very similar genetically I believe?

lowaccord66

Now imagine 30-50 of those that size and larger in a stream smaller than the swift....can not wait! 

taxid

That’s interesting about the eggs. Our big lake in NH had virtually zero spawning area. I have seen rainbows and landlocked salmon just busting at the seems with eggs before. I knew it was terrible for the salmon, but didn’t know how’s had the same issue.

It is curious that browns and LLS don’t have the same issue with reabsorbing the eggs as they are very very similar genetically I believe?

So the salmon have issues with egg absorption too?  I was not aware of that. I don't have much experience with Atlantics out here although a big fishery is developing in northern Lake Huron. Would love to hatch and raise them but my state strictly forbids it citing disease worries. (ISA)

Yeah both are in the same genus but of course different species. I have seen big differences though in fish in the same genus as in sunfish. Bluegill are extremely easy to feed train on pellets while red ears are almost impossible.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Now imagine 30-50 of those that size and larger in a stream smaller than the swift....can not wait!

Lake Ontario tributary I assume?

Here farther west, states on Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior, DNR's are cutting way back on the planting of brown trout. Really disappointing to say the least.

lowaccord66

Lake Ontario tributary I assume?

Here farther west, states on Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior, DNR's are cutting way back on the planting of brown trout. Really disappointing to say the least.

Yes sir. 

taxid

lowaaccord66,

Which do you prefer? A king salmon or a brown trout? For me I'll take big browns hands down over a king. For some reason kings don't do much for me although they are much easier to paint than a brown trout as a taxidermist.

Baitbucket

Im going to wager she avoided capture as long as she did based on size alone.. Most trout fisherman are fishing light line. She would make short work of pretty much anything a trout fisherman threw at her. I wonder how many she has snapped off, and how many "the big one that got away" stories she is responsible for.

lowaccord66

You'd be surprised Will.  A lot of that is more dependent on the rods used.  My pb is 15lbs and was on 8# test...long centerpin rod....

taxid

Im going to wager she avoided capture as long as she did based on size alone.. Most trout fisherman are fishing light line. She would make short work of pretty much anything a trout fisherman threw at her. I wonder how many she has snapped off, and how many "the big one that got away" stories she is responsible for.

Makes sense to me.

bogtrotter

I don't do Facebook, so I cannot check the original Mass Wildlife post.

Does it say how big the fish was in inches?

Sorry, but fishing smaller streams, I cannot even imagine how big a 13.5 pound trout runs.

I need the length in inches to translate it into terms that are "real" to me.

Funny story along those lines - - Years ago, I was fishing the Deerfield with my Dad and a couple other friends.  An older guy and a college age kid (an exchange student from Wales) put into the stream where we were fishing in a canoe.  As they did so, they asked us what we were fishing for, and my Dad said "trout."  The college age kid asked how big the trout typically ran, and my Dad said "about 14" - - meaning inches, but the kid asked "pounds?"  Needless to say, we all got a good chuckle out of that exchange.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
There was one 18lbs in there that died a month or so ago. A fisherman found her and gave the carcass to masswildlife to analyze.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.