FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Fishing  (Read 3920 times)

Logan Johnson

Fly Fishing
« on: Jun 11, 2006, 04:22 PM »
Do any of you have tips for a beginner fly-fisherman?  I just acquired a Martin fly rod/reel and I hope that it works well, has anyone had any experience with this kind of rod or reel?

Kyle

Re: Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2006, 09:39 PM »
Do any of you have tips for a beginner fly-fisherman?

what kind of tips? you tell me what you wanna try for and ill tell some flies ive had luck with  8)

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2006, 01:52 PM »
Get a casting video or some qualified instruction.  You'll avoid having to try and correct all of those bad habits that you'll sink into if you learn on your own.  It's not do or die, but you'll avoid some frustration and jump way up the learning curve.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Im Logan, I just made a different account.  I have a few questions, first of all is my 6 weight rod suitable for fishing on lakes and medium strength  streams?  What is the difference between weights??  Is the lenght much of a varialbe, my rod is 9ft, is that ok for my suituation?  Any other equiptment related advice for me?

Kyle

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2006, 06:28 PM »
yes, a 6 weight is an ideal rod for AB.  The only it isnt the BEST for is if you go for big pike, then you should have a bit heavier rod.  Also the difference between weights is a 0 weight is a super ultralight,3 is about a ultralight-light,6 is middle of the line, 9 is heavy.  basically just getting heavier as line weights go up.
Also 9 feet is standard for a rod length...you can get em down to about 6 feet(small streams) up to 14 feet(spey rods)
some other equipment you might want to get...a stomach pump for pumping fish to see what they have been eating recently,ummm kind of drawing a blank right now. i will post some more stuff when i think of it  8)

King Fisher

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2006, 04:20 PM »
Thanks for the post.  Any flies that you would recommend for rainbow trout??

Kyle

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2006, 04:55 PM »
in a lake? or in a river? also specify wut kind of lake it is...clear deep mountain lake?shallow pothole lake?
or a creek...or river...

King Fisher

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Give me a few for each....lol, that would be the best.  That would be a great help.  Thanx.

Ok, I have a few more questions.  You start with the backing tied to your reel then you have the fishing line (either floating or sinking), then a leader??  I know that there is a long clear leader, is that what you tie the fly to?  Do I have all of the "strings" in the right order or am I missing something?  Also, what is the best knot for each intersection???  Can anyone give me info on the kind of line I should use??  I think that I should should use floating but I was wondering if someone can give me a comparison of the two.  Can anyone reccommend a type of leader....or giv eme info on them.  Thanks for all the help!

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2006, 11:48 AM »
You've got the "strings" in the right order.  Tie the backing to the spool with an arbor knot.  Tie the fly line to the backing with an albright.  Tie the leader to the fly line with a nail knot or a loop to loop connection.  You can buy a fly line with a pre-tied loop or make it yourself.  There is a link to an animated knots site on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now.  Maybe somebody can help us.

I would start with a weight forward floating 6wt line if I were you.  You can add split shot as needed to get deep for now.  You'll see WF-6-F on the box.  It's easiest to start with store bought tapered leaders.  You can tie your own leaders later on if you want to get that serious.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Kyle

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2006, 01:26 AM »
my favourite in a lake is a black catatonic leech, im not sure if they sell them at stores..but if you can find some buy some size 12,14 and 16 also get some in olive. get yourself some chronimids,scuds,damselfly nymphs,dragonfly nymphs,leeches. You can hang these under a small indicator or strip em to you.  Usually more productive under an indicator, but also more boring  :D

in creeks, bring some stimulators..i like orange ones.  works wonders on cutties.  Royal wulffs,griffiths gnat,pretty much any high floating fly will catch cutties.
bring big huge streamers to get the bull trout when he latches onto a cutty.
clouser minnows,bunny leeches,double bunnies all work good for bulls.

if your gonna fish the bow, you will need alot more lol..but i dont think you will be? so im not gonna post that

hope this helps a bit, i know i forgot stuff so if anybody wants to add stuff on fell free

King Fisher

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2006, 12:48 PM »
I am "upgrading" already and I am buying a Sage rod with a Okuma reel.  I think that this will help me get started.  The rod is faster and I am very impressed with the equipment I am about to have.  The only debate is if I  should get a 5 or 6 weight.  I know that I will be fishing local ponds/lakes and a few streams but I also want to fish in southern Alberta in the Bow and other locations around there.  Do you think that it would be best to get a 6 for overall versatility??  I am not planning to fish for pike, mainly just trout.  Would the weight difference make a difference for feeling the fish fight?  Is there any comparisons that you can give me between the two weights?  Any advise would be great!  Thanks everyone!

Kyle

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2006, 11:39 PM »
ok, martin was O-K to start with...BUT that new rod and reel, you will love it.
Only piece of advice, start using the martin first...you will appreciate the sage more when you start using it.
Also there is not much of a difference between a 5 or a 6 weight.  I personally have a 3 weight right now and a 6.  The 3 is mainly for trout fishing in potholes and such, while the 6 is mainly for the bow, bull trout, some pike, larger trout,etc.
Its all up to you, you wont notice much of a difference in the fight...
but for the time being, if your going to stick with this rod for lets say 2-3 years before purchasing a lighter rod(for smaller creeks and such) or a heavier rod(pike,maybe lakers?,etc) I would say buy a 6.  Its a great all around weight and if need be, you can tackle some bigger fish with it.

Hope that helps  ;)

P.S. where abouts are you from? im personally from Calgary

saw you had msn, added you... ;D

King Fisher

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2006, 04:45 PM »
I am from west of Edmonton, are you Kyle??  haha, so that explains the mystery.  The only thing is that, I will not be able to use the Martin rod because I am trading it in.  But I am pretty excited to use this new rod.  Do you fly-fish much from shore??  I am planning to get a set of chest waders and a floating tube....actually it isnt a tube it is an " OUTCAST FISH CAT 4 DELUXE", I have heard that system is the trick.  Does that sound like a good plan?

Kyle

« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2006, 10:27 PM »
i usually shore fish...or go out in the family boat.
im actually thinking of picking up a fish cat 4...my buddy has a fish cat 4 also and he says that the only difference between fish cat 4 and fish cat 4 deluxe is that the deluxe has an inflatable seat instead of a cushion seat.  You pay about 50 bucks more for that seat and IMO its just another thing to pop.
Im from Calgary.  ;D

King Fisher

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:56 PM »
That is true.  I was also looking up consumer reports and I found that the inflatable seats are less comfortable.  And for 50 bucks less, it looks like the better deal.  I dont know if I should get one now or later... 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.