FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trip to Alberta this summer/fall  (Read 4687 times)

Cider

Trip to Alberta this summer/fall
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Hi folks.  I live in New Hampshire and I am fishing for some information!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Alberta some time late summer or early fall.  She has relatives that live in Red Deer, Wetaskwin, Bitern Lake, Calgary, Camrose and many others.  We will probably be staying in Wetaskwin the majority of the time we are there.

I am an avid fly fisherman and spin cast fisherman looking for information on fishing Alberta's rivers and streams for trophy trout.  I have heard that the fishing is excellent and that your waters offer many species of trout in trophy sizes.  I am particularly intersted in cut throats because we don't have them around here.

I am most interested in day trips that are accessible within an hour or so drive.  We are considering the possibility of renting a car and traveling a bit further for a day or two to stay overnight near some excellent fishing.

I have the necessary equipment: waders, rods, vest, pontoon float tube, etc.  I just don't know the area as I have never been!  The only water I know of is Bow River in Calgary from reading one of vancouvercanuck's posts and saw pics of bows he caught there.

We will be flying in and most likely renting a car when we get there.

Any information on where to fish, if guides are necessary, getting licenses, local fly shops, details on getting fishing gear through customs and into the country would be a huge help to me!  I am worried that since 9-11-02 it might be tricky getting across the border with fishing gear?!?

When is the best time to catch trout during your season out there?  Is late summer or early fall (August/September) a good time to fish your rivers and streams?

Thank you for your help and advice!

friendly fishing

• Keep the fish on the hook
Re: Trip to Alberta this summer/fall
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:20 AM »
if your in Calgary try the Bow River  I've heard it is awsome for fly fishing in the summer and fall you catch some nice steel head
River Fishing Rules

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2004, 01:13 PM »
http://members.boardhost.com/fishalberta/

Great message forum for all your Alberta needs.

For big bows, bulls, and browns, the Bow river is beyond a doubt your best bet for large fish. Anywhere downstream of Calgary is blue ribbon fishing.

Cuthroats, your best bet will be in the Rockies and posting your questions on the above website will give you lots of answers.

Here's one just for flyfishing:

http://forums.flyfishalberta.com/phpBB2/index.php

I am not near Wetaskawin so I can't help you out there. It's about a two hour drive from there to Calgary, so plan on staying in Calgary for a night or two and fish the Bow. We can hook up when you come up.

You shouldn't have any problem getting your fishing stuff through customs as long as you check it in and not try to carry it on.

You can get a fishing license at any fishing store or Mohawk gas station in Alberta.

Here's a link for the regulations for last year, this year should be anytime now.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/fishingregs/index.html

Let me know anything else you need.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2004, 04:36 PM »
Let me know anything else you need.

Vancouvercanuck,

Wow, awesome post!  Thanks for all the info!  Give me a few days to digest the information you posted here and I will get back to you with questions.  We were thinking about going to Calgary for a day or two.  Maybe we could meet up.  Sure would make the fishing easier to hook up with someone that knows the area.  Thanks for the offer.

Mike

Trevor

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:09 PM »
Cider, I live only an hour or so from wetaskwin.  Perhaps we could hook up and hit a few of my spots...

Trevor

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2004, 09:33 AM »
Hey guys!  We are coming your way in July!  We are flying in to Calgary on the 15th and leaving from Edmonton on the 26th.  We are planning on staying in Calgary with relatives for the first two or three days.  Will hit the Stampede Friday and fish the Bow river Saturday and possibly Sunday.

From there we plan on renting a car and traveling north through Banff and Jasper National parks into the Canadian Rockies.  Hope to do some fishing/hiking along the way and stay in a lodge for the night.  Then we will head over towards Edmonton and stay with relatives in Wetaskawin for the rest of our time in Alberta!

Any advice on places to stay, eat, fish, hike, shop, etc. would be great!  We can't wait to visit!!

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Hey vancouvercanuck -
    Thanks for posting the albertaoutdoorsman site address.  I had been wondering what the resident Canadian, non-Albertan license fee was.  At $21 it certainly encourages a person to pack the fishing gear, even if you're just passing through the province, like I might be this summer.

mrhook

• Fishing Fin-Addict!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2004, 09:18 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I m going to Calgary this week end and I might have time to throw in a line. Am only gonna be there for about 5 days or so visiting! ;) ;) ;)
teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2004, 11:51 AM »

Any advice on places to stay, eat, fish, hike, shop, etc. would be great!  We can't wait to visit!!

I think you could try www.tourismalberta.com. Something like that, not sure. Just go to google.ca  and type in "Travel Alberta" and search the canadian sites.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.