FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gonna bite the bullet and get a fishing kayak  (Read 6197 times)

taxid

Gonna bite the bullet and get a fishing kayak
« on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Looks like it will fit right in with my vaca plans in June. Found some really cool DIY Utube vids on ways to make a cheap simple cart to pull one down to the water where I have to walk a ways, and ways to mount a transducer etc. here:

Scroll down to "Scupper Mount."

https://www.fishfindersource.com/4-ways-to-mount-a-transducer-in-a-kayak/

How many of you use a kayak?

I have a fully rigged boat and motor complete with down riggers etc. but not sure I want to schlep it back and forth 1000 miles and some of the lakes I like to fish aren't boat trailer friendly. One isn't open to trailered boats until my vaca is almost over.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Gonna bite the bullet and get a fishing kayak
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Anybody have one of the more expensive pedal powered ones? Kind of salty at an average price of $2500.00 brand new but I see used ones on Ebay about a grand less. Looks like one might need a small trailer?

Are they worth it for fishing? Hands free operation worth it?  Seems mounting a Little Scotty downrigger would be a possibility vs. hand paddling. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spider1

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2018, 05:25 AM »
just a heads up, carts that fit into the scuppers can damage your kayak by putting too much strain on the scuppers. They tend to be a weak spot. I don't have a pedal kayak but if my pockets were a little deeper I would ;)

For freshwater fishing, and especially on smaller lakes and rivers, they aren't a big deal. But for bigger water and saltwater fishing, yeah I would rather have one. Not so much for the hands free stuff but more for long distance traveling using larger muscle groups. Some of the newer pedal yaks that have reverse are pretty cool and I can see them being a big help on smaller waters but I can live with it... for now.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:47 AM »
just a heads up, carts that fit into the scuppers can damage your kayak by putting too much strain on the scuppers. They tend to be a weak spot. I don't have a pedal kayak but if my pockets were a little deeper I would ;)

For freshwater fishing, and especially on smaller lakes and rivers, they aren't a big deal. But for bigger water and saltwater fishing, yeah I would rather have one. Not so much for the hands free stuff but more for long distance traveling using larger muscle groups. Some of the newer pedal yaks that have reverse are pretty cool and I can see them being a big help on smaller waters but I can live with it... for now.

Thank you Spider1 for the info! Yeah I'll probably have to pass on a pedal one too as I'm already spending $2500.00 on a workshop in NH to learn to produce my own replica fish at tail end of my vaca.  :o  But if a more reasonable used one comes along...

Maybe this one would be a better option for a cart? Also easy to build.

Spider1

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2018, 08:59 AM »
I found plans somewhere on the internet for that cart but I already have one that I got from the guy I bought my kayak from. It works so I stick with it. I have to strap mine to it so it doesn't slip off. One thing to know that I found out the hard way. Don't leave the kayak sitting on one of those carts. I did and what happens is the weight of the kayak pushes down on the cart, since the scuppers are supported more than the rest of the hull, they will push up and raise a section of the deck. It might only be a small amount but for my ride 115 it mattered. My seat doesn't slide very well on it any more. Now when I get home I lift the ride up on the rack so it isn't sitting on the cart.

NYSportxman

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2018, 12:48 PM »
I didn't think it was worth my time and money to make my own kayak cart as you come fairly close to the price of a store bought one.  I ended up buying one from Dicks.  They sell a fairly generic one that you can find and price match against Amazon for 39.99.  Couple that with a 3lb anchor and using their on and off again $10 off $50 and you can pretty much get the anchor for free.

I've been kayak fishing for over 3 years now with a paddle kayak.  Most of my fishing was limited to small protected bays and rivers.  That was pretty productive but I felt that I was too limited in fishing options due to distance.  I bought a pedal kayak (Old town Predator PDL) during black Friday '17.  I got a significant discount, but it was still expensive overall.  Its been sitting in my garage since then just waiting for warmer weather for its maiden voyage.  I bought all the gear to rig it up and will be doing that in the next few weeks in preparation for spring crappie.

Looking forward to the new opportunities it will open up!

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:18 PM »
I bit the bullet a couple of years ago, loving it! I did a few modifications to meet my needs...

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Ive been kayak fishing for long time, wife says Ive owned mine for at least ten yrs all I can say is go get one, even if it isnt a pedal one just make sure you can shoulder it alone without hurting yourself,  or get a trailer. Ive always wanted a pedal kayak but theyre so pricey and Ive seen  so many nice v-hull or john boat rigs with a motor on craigslist for what a pedal one cost new that I couldnt justify spending the bucks. Its all opinions but I say get one, pedal or paddle you will not go wrong, unless you end up not liking floating around alone with no one to bother you, getting towed around by hungry fish...HA good luck and please let us know your decision.
done dirt cheap!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Looking at a lot of kayaks out there. It appears at this point a foot pedal model is out of my price range thanks to the cost of a workshop I will be taking at $2500.00.

Reading reviews is confusing as there is will be really good ones and really bad ones for the same model!

I do want to mount a Little Scotty downrigger on whatever one I get and one video recommend one at least 13 feet with rudder for stability with the downrigger?

Was looking at something like this but not crazy about it being 70 lbs. for one person to take on and off the top of the SUV. Or maybe it's not that big a deal?

Any suggestions?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibe-Sea-Ghost-130-13-Fishing-Kayak-Paddle-Hunter-Camo/152641331759?epid=1792946386&hash=item238a21e22f:g:l9AAAOSwb-tZyWAl

jrtbaits

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2018, 06:48 PM »
I've always fished out of a boat or from shore and never really considered a kayak but I picked one up for right around $500 about 4 years ago now and all I can say is I love my perception striker 115 it is stable enough to stand and under 70 pounds.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Thanks JRTbaits. I'll have to check it out.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Thank you all for your comments so far! Especially bart.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I picked up a Field & Stream Eagle Run 12 (in camo), paddle, and roof rack a couple years ago off CL for $350.

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-eagle-run-12-fishing-kayak-15fnsufsglrn12kykpsk/15fnsufsglrn12kykpsk

I added a pair of rod holders towards the front of the cockpit because I found it awkward to get to the rods behind me. I also added a depth finder and an anchor trolley. I use my hand held Garmin for speed.

I can easily troll 2 rods from the fore holders and get to them quickly when hit.  I use one of the aft (factory) holders for the net and the other for a spare casting rod. Tackle bag stays between my legs.

I've caught a lot of fish out of it and enjoy it very much.  I even duck hunted out of it last season.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2018, 11:59 AM »
If you want to spend the money, you can go with the pedal drive kayaks.
For me, that's one expense I'm not willing to take part in.

I bought a display model Pelican Angler kayak over 5 years ago, and have logged many, MANY hours in it.
It's seen fresh and salt water, pond, rivers, creeks and big lakes.
It's been used night and day, spring, summer and fall.

The one thing I LOVE about my kayak (and kayaks in general) is that we can access some waters that no one else can.

I fish a number of rivers and ponds in my region (north east) that have shallow inlets and weedy bays that boats cannot navigate.

That's where I have gotten some of my biggest fish!

I am counting the days until I launch again!!!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:59 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.