FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pittsburg NH  (Read 2191 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Pittsburg NH
« on: Sep 20, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Hi all!

I am heading up to Pittsburg NH early October and I was wondering if any of you have fished up there before...... and are willing to share a tip or 2. I have never fished up there but a cast and blast sounds great since the rivers are open until October 15'th. I know of the trophy stretch although I have no idea where to park or fish. Is that all fly fishing only or should I bring a spinning rod as well? Sounds like the blue winged olive may be key up there. Any suggestions as to set up, location, or anything would be helpful and much appreciated. PM me if need be. Thank you!
Wicked Wec

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
Re: Pittsburg NH
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2019, 05:43 AM »
Heading up the week of Oct. 1 with the wife. Bring your fly rod and spinning rod. There are plenty of spots to access the river you will have no problem with that. Can't help you with the flies but I'm sure someone on the site can. Fall can be a very good time to fish there. When will you be there?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Wish I could help buddy, I am only familiar with the lake fishing up there. But for the trophy stretch I see a lot of people park just below- like immediately below- the dam for First Conn. There is all sorts of parking right there, you'll see other cars there almost always.

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2019, 09:01 AM »
i usually head down stream from the parking area. deep nymphing with copper johns, san juans, even dropping hornburgs down to the bottom dead drift. small size 16 nymphs and smaller are my favorite fly in that river section

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! I will be there Friday Oct 11'th until Tuesday October 15'th. So I have 3 full days to either hunt or fish, or both.

Meatandmetal - What section of the river should I target with the spinning gear? Any specific lures?  Will you be up there by chance?

Jethro - No worries I appreciate it. I see the street and parking area near the dam. I will definitely take a look there but my guess is those pockets and pools will be full of people. I like to give people their space but maybe something will be available there.

Fishlessman - thank you for that fly info. I think I have all of those so I should be good. Let me know if you are up that way during the time I will be.
Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Jethro - No worries I appreciate it. I see the street and parking area near the dam. I will definitely take a look there but my guess is those pockets and pools will be full of people. I like to give people their space but maybe something will be available there.

Possibly, Sept and Oct is an odd time for me to go there, so I don't know for sure how busy it would be. I spend a lot of time there during the summer and winter but not in between. I have never seen many more than 4 or 5 cars parked there, ever.

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2019, 01:29 PM »
most stick to the first deep pool, find the smaller pocket waters and trenches below there, there wont be many people down there.  the bird hunting season starts in october and alot up there will be looking for pheasants, not fish. im usually in the fast water that most seem to avoid

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Possibly, Sept and Oct is an odd time for me to go there, so I don't know for sure how busy it would be. I spend a lot of time there during the summer and winter but not in between. I have never seen many more than 4 or 5 cars parked there, ever.

4-5 cars?! Thats the whole town!!!!  ;D ;D
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2019, 02:15 PM »
most stick to the first deep pool, find the smaller pocket waters and trenches below there, there wont be many people down there.  the bird hunting season starts in october and alot up there will be looking for pheasants, not fish. im usually in the fast water that most seem to avoid

Will do! Thank you for the info. This will be fun for sure.
Wicked Wec

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! I will be there Friday Oct 11'th until Tuesday October 15'th. So I have 3 full days to either hunt or fish, or both.

Meatandmetal - What section of the river should I target with the spinning gear? Any specific lures?  Will you be up there by chance?

Fishlessman - thank you for that fly info. I think I have all of those so I should be good. Let me know if you are up that way during the time I will be.

I'll be there from Oct 1-5. I have fished mostly from Murphy Dam to the metal bridge at Stewardstown anywhere along that stretch is good but it has been fished hard. Try spoons and different spinners and change colors. It seems like some years certain colors work better than others. You will have no problem accessing the river.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.