FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall trolling  (Read 4433 times)

zwiggles

Re: Fall trolling
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2019, 02:13 PM »
Nice report, thanks.  Too bad to hear you weren't able to troll up a holdover trout from Echo but nice that you got a good rainbow from Highland.  I knew Highland holds over fish (good smelt population) but was hoping Echo does too.  Don't know about that, as it's only brookies in there I think.

I remember seeing a few from there in the trophy program. There is another lake up that way that does seem to produce far more holdovers.

Dirt23

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Put the chickens and the pigs to rest and got a week off to do some fall trolling on terrible Tarleton.  Between the ole lady and I have 16 hours of trolling in so far and only 2 small rainbows. Been trolling from 5 to 30 feet with wobblers, DB smelt, rapalas, and tandem flies. Surface temp 55 degrees.  Any input would be appreciated on what else to try . Only got a few more days off and would like to catch a couple more fish and I have myself confused

zwiggles

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Put the chickens and the pigs to rest and got a week off to do some fall trolling on terrible Tarleton.  Between the ole lady and I have 16 hours of trolling in so far and only 2 small rainbows. Been trolling from 5 to 30 feet with wobblers, DB smelt, rapalas, and tandem flies. Surface temp 55 degrees.  Any input would be appreciated on what else to try . Only got a few more days off and would like to catch a couple more fish and I have myself confused

Take it for what it’s worth as I’ve never fished it open water, but I would try around the inlets/outlets thinking maybe the fish are moving to try and spawn or at least staging in the area.

Also what speeds are you running? I haven’t trolled much this time of year, but on Winni for the end of September we had good luck trolling faster speeds around 2.5mph and up with streamers on top early and late in the day.

Dirt23

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Take it for what it’s worth as I’ve never fished it open water, but I would try around the inlets/outlets thinking maybe the fish are moving to try and spawn or at least staging in the area.

Also what speeds are you running? I haven’t trolled much this time of year, but on Winni for the end of September we had good luck trolling faster speeds around 2.5mph and up with streamers on top early and late in the day.
thank you zwiggles  I haven't played with speed much been running 1.8 didn't give that much of a thought  I'll have to play with that.  It dawned on me that it what also around a full moon what's your thought on that? Fish calenders say it's supposed to be good but I don't do well around full moons personally

bikrsrule

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Dirt, for what its worth, I have been trolling mainly highland lake in Andover, 2 to 3 weeks ago the rainbows were hitting mooslocks, joe's flies spinners and then all of a sudden when the water got cooler they stopped hitting hardware, I switched to smelt pattern streamers and I have been doing awesome, both deep and on the surface, 1.5 to 2.0 mph..I was going to give it up after last weekend but they have been biting so well I am going again this Saturday..Good luck too  you.

zwiggles

« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:17 PM »
thank you zwiggles  I haven't played with speed much been running 1.8 didn't give that much of a thought  I'll have to play with that.  It dawned on me that it what also around a full moon what's your thought on that? Fish calenders say it's supposed to be good but I don't do well around full moons personally

I always try to vary speed, and take big goofy/drunk turns. Some of the biggest fish we have caught were when my brother was driving (he doesn’t fish with my father and I often) and I’m yelling at him not to turn so hard because the lines will get tangled, then the rods start screaming drag  :P

Keep changing it up until you find a pattern.

For the moon, I don’t fish enough to really pay attention to it. I have used a full moon to explain poor fishing plenty of times, but I go fishing when I can so I’m not too keen to pay attention to all that. I have had some great fishing with moons for spawning/staging fish. Sometimes it concentrates them, or focuses them in on a hatch/spawning event.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.