FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Use of Fish Stringers  (Read 4928 times)

seamonkey84

Re: Use of Fish Stringers
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Just fair warning, I see you are in NH, or even in Maine you are breaking the law possessing live fish. My buddy just got a ticket for that recently (and he should know better). CO asked if we had any fish my buddy said yes, opened the livewell and the fish flopped and guess what- you have a problem! He got a big fine for possession of live fish. You need to immediately release or immediately dispatch the fish and include it to your bag- one or the other. Culling of fish in both NH and Maine is illegal. Not being a jerk just want to keep you out of trouble. If a CO had checked you at that time you would have gotten popped for sure, they do not like it, this CO in Maine was very cross.
Oh boy, In Maine, possession of live fish could be seen as intention to transport/stock, which is a $2-10K fine, and they can get you per fish if they wanted to.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2019, 12:19 PM »
As someone that has studied fish, raises fish for a living, and is a fellow angler I'm with all the comments here. A stringer is bad news if you decide to release the fish later, even if it's legal. Gills on fish are a fragile thing with easily ruptured capilaries (microscopic size) that carry oxygen to the fish in minute parts per million, and also release carbon dioxide and ammonia. The fish was already stressed when you fought it on hook and line, so a stringer can be the coup de grace. Just because a fish swims off doesn't mean it won't croak a few days later.

I will take it step farther. Even if you're going to keep the fish, you shouldn't use a stringer -- especially salmonids. Personally if I was intent on keeping a fish, it would be bled and go on ice immediately although I know the ice thing is not always possible.  Commercial fisherman usually put fish on ice immediately and there is a very good reason for that.

Eating a fish that has not been chilled ASAP or a trout that has died and been dragged around in warmer water can make you deathly ill or even worse.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2019, 12:24 PM »
LMAO!!!!! fastaccord66

You guys are not alone. Speeding tickets are a big revenue generator everywhere. Once got a speeding ticket several counties away here in Indiana.  Ticket totaled $120.00 but the ticket itself was only $20.00 IIRR. The rest was "court costs."  Yeah right. I mailed the fine in. What court costs?  ::) ::) ::)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2019, 09:31 PM »
A stringer thru the gills is a death sentence.  Pierce it up thru the lower jaw and out the mouth.  They'll do much better.

X2 on that...I only use stringers for panfish I keep and thru the list lip...they stay very lively.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #19 on: Jun 30, 2019, 09:36 PM »
I use a floating fish basket, only for the ones I intend to keep, if it's not going in the basket it goes right back in the lake. The basket keeps them well and they go right on ice for the trip home.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Oh boy, In Maine, possession of live fish could be seen as intention to transport/stock, which is a $2-10K fine, and they can get you per fish if they wanted to.

Yeah, the CO was very cross indeed, he started by asking just why he wanted to keep the fish alive/what was the purpose. My buddy said "No reason, just to keep it fresher before I fillet it." Let me clarify that it was the son of a buddy and he wasn't fishing in my boat at the time or this wouldn't have happened. I believe they just paid somewhere around $130 last week for the infraction but yes, it seemed really serious at first and I'm sure could have been bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.