FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line Storage  (Read 4841 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Line Storage
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2019, 12:09 PM »
I only really see flouro sink in 50 and 60# breaking strengths where its affected the action of my plugs. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2019, 12:15 PM »
I only really see flouro sink in 50 and 60# breaking strengths where its affected the action of my plugs.

Try 4lb test comparison in a slower stream Jon. The mono stays on the surface while the flouro does not.  ;)
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Try 4lb test comparison in a slower stream Jon. The mono stays on the surface while the flouro does not.  ;)

Mike I have been doing that test ever since flouro came out and this is with 3.4, 5.7, 8.7 pound test...If that were the case my dries (sometimes as small as #20). Would sink.  Lots of info on this in the trout world where we use flouro for dries just because it will break the surface film but goes no deeper.  Nylon floats on the surface film and from underneath is very visible.  This sinking flouro debate has been around for a long time...and the answers exist in their true form if you look for them in the right spots.  50 and 60 though can pull the nose of a popper down. 

Trust me I wish it sank like people think it would make my nymphing better.  If you believe it does go fill the tub cut a 20" section and throw it in.  For every minute it floats I want 2 bucks.  I hope you have deep pockets!!!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Jun 24, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Jon I don't disagree with you when applying that to fly fishing. However I am talking about dead drifting a crawler with nothing but a hook. For whatever reason I can get the crawler deeper because I can get it to sink slightly faster with flouro over mono to get into those pockets. However, when the river runs low I prefer mono as I can visually see the bite before feeling it and it runs higher for me. Side drifting that crawler under branches proved that to me time and time again where one will hang me up and the other will not. Maybe it's just me but it works well.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Ok that's an interesting anecdote and we can take then fly fishing out of the equation...Like I said if you want the truth...take a 20" piece of mono and flouro and throw them in the tub.  Tell me when the flouro hits the bottom.   ;)

Now if I had to sell the stuff for a living you bet my box will have some of the same differentiators listed.  More abrasion resistance, sinks, bla bla bla.  Thats how guys like me get the warm fuzzy about spending 4x as much. 

zwiggles

« Reply #20 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:16 PM »
Going off topic a bit, but....

I would think flouro of similar lb test would always have a smaller diameter. In that case it makes sense that with a worm it would get lower in a river current than a thicker mono line of the same on test, wouldn’t it?

I have always used flouro for its small diameter when trolling/ice fishing, or when abrasion strength and line stretch are a factor. Never thought about sink rate when fly fishing, and I have a tub (but not deep pockets) so...

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Generally yes.  Definitely yes with the expensive stuff. Depends on the brand wiggles.  People have gauged cheaper flouro with micrometers and found varying thicknesses on the same spool. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Generally yes.  Definitely yes with the expensive stuff. Depends on the brand wiggles.  People have gauged cheaper flouro with micrometers and found varying thicknesses on the same spool.

Just like perfect tapered leader!
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #23 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Its garbage.  Ive never liked it for that reason.
This... I use Ande tournament,  my rods stay in the truck all summer, no issues... I tried vanish years ago.Hayed it ..I use it to teach kids how to tie knots. .it's all its good for.

Roccus

« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Ive used that stuff too Fred.  Works just fine.  Flouro clear I think its called? 

Don't start talking about braid...Ive tried ALL the brands.

You and me both, tried all kinds of braid, despise it for everything but straight up and down deep jigging.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2019, 12:15 PM »
This... I use Ande tournament,  my rods stay in the truck all summer, no issues... I tried vanish years ago.Hayed it ..I use it to teach kids how to tie knots. .it's all its good for.

Used the ande tournament over flouro for quite some time for leaders when surfcasting.  Its legit stuff!  I can't count how many huge stripers have cut my braid like it didnt exist.  Trade off for distance I suppose.

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Just like perfect tapered leader!

There is no such thing as the perfect tapered leader.  Their only benefit is turning a fly over and getting easy sales from those who can only handle a loop to loop connection. I tossed all of them in the garbage and build my own using either maxima chameleon or OPST lazar spey line.  If you need some built Mike let me know and Ill make you a rig!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2019, 01:33 PM »
There is no such thing as the perfect tapered leader.  Their only benefit is turning a fly over and getting easy sales from those who can only handle a loop to loop connection. I tossed all of them in the garbage and build my own using either maxima chameleon or OPST lazar spey line.  If you need some built Mike let me know and Ill make you a rig!

Thanks buddy I appreciate it! You do far more fly fishing than I do that's for sure. My buddy Mike can tie some mean flies so he is my go to if I need any. I have a pile of fly tying material I picked up from CL for $300. I valued it well over 1K and haven't got to tying yet.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Thanks buddy I appreciate it! You do far more fly fishing than I do that's for sure. My buddy Mike can tie some mean flies so he is my go to if I need any. I have a pile of fly tying material I picked up from CL for $300. I valued it well over 1K and haven't got to tying yet.

Tying is a blast.  I used to be very much into it.  Let me know if and when you want to come visit and we'll nail trout like its opening day!  Bring Mike too.  If its the same one I met on Winni hes good people.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Tying is a blast.  I used to be very much into it.  Let me know if and when you want to come visit and we'll nail trout like its opening day!  Bring Mike too.  If its the same one I met on Winni hes good people.

We can plan something for sure Jon. I need a few more getaways to clear my head. Yep that's him! I try to surround myself by nothing else but good people  ;)
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.