FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hair  (Read 1709 times)

BaitWrangler

Hair
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:51 AM »
People have been asking.  "Hair" you go.  That's about as basic as it gets!  That is a 2 oz lead and sometimes I will drop it to 1.5 on that rod or even 1 if I am using method. It can go as high as 4 if you are fishing tidal.  The bead's purpose is to protect the knot from your lead which unless you buy premium sinkers that have inserts... probably have rough edges.

lavaman

Re: Hair
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55 AM »
thank. nice illustrations.
how many lb test are you using and how long is the leader?

BaitWrangler

Re: Hair
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:28 AM »
thank. nice illustrations.
how many lb test are you using and how long is the leader?

The big poles are 20 and the smaller ones are 12-15.  The big ones have the big line more so because they have to stand up to heavy casting and currents... not so much because of the fish themselves. 12-15 is fine though for the smaller fish and using no method if thats what your plan for the day is.  

I usually use a 20lb leader all around.  The purpose is because fishing the bottom is rough and there are a lot of unknowns down there. In addition, these fish know the bottom very well, and run for cover immediately.  Leader length is a bit of a tricky question. While I was introduced to the sport with and have historically used a shorter leader, 3-5", some argue a longer leader is better due to the simple anatomy of the fish and their behavoir.  I've given the longer leader a try (not a fair try, but a try) and I haven't done as well.  Despite that, the folks whom do proclaim it's superior nature are in fact darn good Carp fisherman. I do not know them personally but they are well respected members of our community.

One thing I will say - I recently lost my spool of red leader material and have had to substitute lately. I haven't caught a thing but a minor sunburn.

Edit: Going back to how the bottom holds a lot of unknowns. Look at the condition of that sinker.  That has never touched a river... in fact it was brand new to begin the season and I've fished pretty much weedy areas. Go's to show whats lurking down there. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.