FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Worm containers  (Read 1994 times)

Doubles Shooter

Worm containers
« on: Sep 28, 2018, 08:27 AM »
What does everyone use for keeping their crawlers happy when pulling harnesses for walleye?  I keep my worms in a small container in the cooler. More often than not, I'll find them swimming in the ice water.
The good old Bait Canteen is no longer made. I'm looking at the Magic worm box. Looks similar to the old Canteen. Does anyone have any experience with them?
I'm open to any ideas. Getting tired of my pampered , frisky worms turning to limp noodles by mid day.

seamonkey84

Re: Worm containers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I also usually stick the container in the cooler, but I usually have things sitting on top of the ice in plastic bags so the food and drinks are also separate from any fish I keep. Any fish going into the cooler are killed and bled first so no thrashing around once they go in.
Some days, I’ll just stick a ice pack into a insulated lunch bag and keep them in there. I use the same bag for ice fishing, only I use a hand warmer instead of ice pack.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2018, 12:59 PM »
I got tired of my worms getting lose in the fridge, suffering from heat while out fishing, etc.
So I bought a small 6-pack cooler for them.
It fits nicely in my fridge out at the lake in the bottom.
And I toss the dirt the worms come in and use good quality bedding mixed with distilled water (not tap water).

They stay healthy and lively and my wife doesn't find any in the butter dish in the fridge.

Here's what I bought -

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Legend-6-Can-Coolers-Red/dp/B00BC3ISDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1538157386&sr=1-1&keywords=Igloo+Legend+6-Can&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:04 PM »
I have the same concept.. mine is a little smaller but it works awesome for keeping crawlers at home...
This is what I use out on the water.. it honestly is 100% the best thing I've EVER used.. keeps ice all day long and crawlers are in great shape at the end of the day

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Keep-Kool-Live-Bait-Cooler/1345203.uts

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:44 PM »
I keep mine in a gallon ice cream bucket inside a styrofoam minnow (bait) bucket. They're not just for minnows!  Ice on the bottom. Perfect fit.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

appleye

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2018, 06:23 PM »
I keep my crawlers in worm dirt in a 2 gallon zip lock. Conforms well in the cooler. I then have a small Tupperware container with ice that I keep 6 to 8 crawlers in at a time that have been washed on the ice. The crawlers swell and get solid for better hooking. Add ice and crawlers as needed through out the day.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2018, 05:39 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I found a small cooler that will fit in the refrigerator. My wife is good with the idea. I think the larger capacity of the cooler will help with the temp swings. I have a bunch of ice packs I can lay on top of the bedding for the hot days.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2018, 05:58 AM »
I can tell you what EVERYONE uses.
You know those Styrofoam containers with the plastic lids?
Thats what everyone uses.
I know, because they leave them every where i fish and i have to clean them up........... >:( >:( >:( >:(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2018, 07:35 AM »

I know Dom but they are so heavy to carry out , just make they are empty if you pick them up 🤢

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I can tell you what EVERYONE uses.
You hnow those Styrofoam containers with the plastic lids?
Thats what everyone uses.
I know, because they leave them every where i fish and i have to clean them up........... >:( >:( >:( >:(
Sadly, that's about all those d**n things are worth. Causing litter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.