FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Outboard question  (Read 2354 times)

Ice Dawg

Outboard question
« on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:52 PM »
I have been running inboard/outboards for many years because my wife gets a really bad headache when she is exposed to 2 stroke exhaust. I just bought a new boat with a Merc Verado 150 on it. I figure this way I can start fishing earlier in the spring and fish later in the fall. My question for you outboard experts is what do you think of this engine? ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

grumpymoe

Re: Outboard question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2006, 08:16 PM »
you and your wife are going to be so Happy...Happy....enjoy your new boat and outboard....Grump....post after your first outing.. :D

troutman

Ray

Ice Dawg

Pikeguy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2006, 12:16 PM »
I've heard the Verado is Sooooo fast! ;)

Ice Dawg

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2006, 08:10 PM »
I've heard the Verado is Sooooo fast! ;)
Maybe too fast for an old coot like me  Pikeguy. Maybe I'll have to have you drive. :laugh: I guess the digital throttle takes some getting used to. Very touchy for a while I hear.

Ice Dawg

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2006, 11:37 AM »
you and your wife are going to be so Happy...Happy....enjoy your new boat and outboard....Grump....post after your first outing.. :D
Grump, I had it on the water for a few hours yesterday breaking it in. It's a very quiet outboard when idling and WOT doesn't seem to be any louder than my I/O was. My son and I could carry on a conversation easily when it was wide open. As far as the Verado is concerned, my son said that when you open it up it's like someone lit the fuse. It has good acceleration and ran 6,150 RPMs at 50 MPH wide open. It should get better at 20 to 25 hrs according to other owners. Break in is easy, after 2 hrs the only restriction is no wide open throttle for more than 5 minutes for the next 8 hrs. Early next week my 9.9 kicker will be in and I can start breaking it in. :D ;)

wallyhuntr

• OH where OH where are those suckers.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Grump, I had it on the water for a few hours yesterday breaking it in. It's a very quiet outboard when idling and WOT doesn't seem to be any louder than my I/O was. My son and I could carry on a conversation easily when it was wide open. As far as the Verado is concerned, my son said that when you open it up it's like someone lit the fuse. It has good acceleration and ran 6,150 RPMs at 50 MPH wide open. It should get better at 20 to 25 hrs according to other owners. Break in is easy, after 2 hrs the only restriction is no wide open throttle for more than 5 minutes for the next 8 hrs. Early next week my 9.9 kicker will be in and I can start breaking it in. :D ;)

ICE  was wondering how your first time out turned out. sounds like the new motor is great. saw al linder bragging up the verado on tv sat morn. he had a big old grin on his face as he  motored down the lake. was going to send a pm to see but this is easier.  good fishing  I'll get back to you later on the vacation from hell.

Ice Dawg

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2006, 06:41 PM »
How's the new boat treating you thus far Dawg?  Sounds like you're already well on track to getting it broken in, and so quiet too even!!!  I hear the lakes are finally starting to open-up up north!  Next weekend and I'll be up ;D

It's about time ya made it here. They were putting the kicker on today and the trailer got here today too. It looks like the weather is going to get bad shortly, so I may have to wait a while to get back at it. Ya got a job yet or are we fishin all sumer. Where's the beer. ;D ;)

Waubay Fisher

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Hehehehe.... Yes Sir!  It took a while, I've been quite busy with just finishing school, job applications, and interviews.

Sounds like you're getting the last bells and whistles today then huh!  What did you shore and land her with prior to the trailer?  A used/loaner I presume???

The good news is I think I have a very prospective position lined up  :D.  The bad news is I'm still waiting to finish through the hiring process - still waiting  :'(.  I'll get there soon enough, I hope.  In the meantime - I'm open ALL next week as far as I'm concerned!  That ice needs to come off quick up north!!! HEE HEE

I'll supply the beer - no worries - I just want a quick ride in that shiny new boat of yours!!!!  ;D ;D

Ice Dawg

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2006, 08:18 PM »
It is on a new roller trailer now. Mine is a bunk trailer and has brakes because I tow it behind my fifth wheel. They weren't done with the kicker when I left and it should be finished tomorrow. Then it will be time for fitting the travel cover. It is looking like Sat is supposed to be about 55 degrees with an 8 mph wind. That should be a good time to put a couple hours on the kicker and then do some fishing. The dealer and I will have to go to the lake sometime together so I can get the boat off of his trailer and onto mine. Normally I use my 14 foot boat when I fish Waubay because of all the obstructions under the water. I figure it will be a lot less expensive for repairs on the little boat. My insurance agent said he has more claims from Waubay than he has from the river. Bitter is worse than Waubay. I'm sure it will end up on Waubay sometime or maybe even Pickerel.

What kind of job are you getting. Need any worthless old farts working for ya? I hope you get one where you will have the weekends free, but sometimes they are hard to find. If you are going to be around webster pm me a cell # so I can get a hold of ya some weekend.

Waubay Fisher

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2006, 08:33 PM »
I see then - well once ya get it on your trailer, the cover fitted, and the motors broke in you are SET my friend!!!

Sat. sounds like a good day for getting out, good luck with that ;).

I don't blame ya for not wanting to bring her on Waubay any time in the near future either.  A guy REALLY has to pay attention to the graph and know the lake before he can go zipping all over the place.  I've talked to quite a few guys that have dropped lower units, broken props, bent skags, etc... Hopefully when the thaw is done and all the run-off we'll see the water level come back up a little.  As far as other lakes, I plan on definitely fishing Pickeral and Swim a lot this spring/summer too... so I'm game for anything!

I will be doing software development, with free weekends, and normal 8-5hrs.  I'll PM ya that cell phone here after a bit! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.